Cuba - Chapter Two

Something poked Travis' cheek persistently to wake him. He tried to shove it away but it only came back a moment later. Finally he cracked an eye open, his gaze meeting Jared, freshly showered and dressed in his suit already.

"What time is it?" Travis mumbled.

"Seven thirty," Jared answered. "You should get up and get ready."

Travis groaned, dropping his head back onto the pillow. A moment later, he heard the door click shut and lifted his head, realizing that he was alone. Shit. Was Jared in one of his moods?

Desperately hoping he was wrong, Travis climbed out of bed.

In the years they'd been friends, Jared had developed a sporadic habit where he got overly quiet and avoided eye contact with Travis. Until he was forced to deal with him again, of course, not that Travis was ever the one forcing him but they were neighbours and they went to the same school. If Jared had better things to do then be friends with him, then Travis didn't care. Jared was a moody fucker. Why would Travis want him around all the time anyway?

He shoved the familiar irritation away and climbed out of bed stretching, his joints cracking back into place. It didn't take him long to shower and get dressed, thoughts drawn to Jared and his moody ways, despite himself.

Last year, Jared had gotten so angry at Travis for blowing him off that he'd avoided him for a whole week, somehow managing to do it even though they sat next to each other in history. Eventually, they were paired together for a project so he'd finally had to suck it up and get over it, thank god. Travis had long gotten over the angry, flustered glances and the way Jared would turn on his heel and head the other way whenever he saw him.

Thinking of that "fight" annoyed Travis all over again. Coming up to the day, Jared had bitched and moaned about going to the movies so much that Travis honestly thought he'd been doing him a favor by canceling.

He gelled his hair quickly and decided that he actually looked pretty good despite not shaving for three days. The light scruff sort of suited him. Made him look a bit older, which he liked.

By the time Travis got down to the resort's Italian restaurant for their reservation, the other four were there already. His mom, Jared and Jared's parents, Margaret and Henry, were seated around around table with only one spot free—next to Jared.

His mom waved as he drew near and Margaret catcalled rudely. Travis grinned and exaggerated a confident swagger as he walked the last steps to the table. They all laughed. Except Jared, who smiled politely and continued to stare at his menu.

Travis tried not to grimace as he slid into the seat next to him.

"You're looking good," Margaret said.

"You too," Travis said winking at her.

Margaret laughed and Henry kicked him under the table with mock anger.

"Careful there Travis, don't wanna have to fight you for her."

Travis laughed, but before he could retort, a menu slapped into his chest.

"We all chose already, hurry up."

This time Travis did grimace, taking the menu from Jared's hand, unable to stop the glare that narrowed his eyes.

"Relax," he said bitterly. "No need to get jealous, you totally got your moms looks."

Jared flushed and looked down at his menu intently. Even though he clearly had no reason to keep reading it.

Travis turned away from Jared, catching the other three watching the scene with raised brows.

'What's wrong with him?' his mother mouthed silently. He shrugged and shook his head. That would probably take too much explaining. Not to mention the fact that he wasn't totally sure.