Chapter 23

Chapter 23

::Shannon::

I watched with panicked eyes as Finn walked over to Laurel, who still held me firmly, and smirked smugly.

“Got the diamonds, boss.” He said and handed them over to Laurel. Finn held me down, while Laurel examined the diamonds.

“Nice job, Finn.” He patted Finn on the back. “But you weren’t meant to expose yourself, that wasn’t part of the plan.” He aimed the gun at Finn.

“L-Laurel, don’t-“

There was ear-splitting bang and Finn’s back arched, and he clutched his chest with his hands. They soon turned bright red and his eyes fluttered shut as he collapsed onto the ground.

Then the cops got out of their cars.

I screamed and ran. I heard Laurel curse behind me, and shout at someone to follow me. I also heard Jay cry my name. 

I ran down the narrow road, getting as far away from them as possible. I didn’t-couldn’t, see anymore bloodshed, I had to get away.

I had to find help.

With shaky fingers I dialed Alexis’s number.

::Jay::

Where is she running to?

Would she just leave me like this?

I looked at my shoulder and winced. The pain was really bad. Daniel had tied his t-shirt on it firmly, and the bleeding slowed down but it still hurt like hell.

Why did Shannon run away?

How could she-

“We have to get out of here.” Daniel whispered in a hard tone. I nodded in agreement. The cops and Laurel’s gang were shooting at each other, scattered all over the road.

Chad was on the ground, his eyes shut and his limp body oozing blood.

I had no sympathy for him at all, he had tried to kill Shannon.

With Daniel steadying me, we slowly tried to make ourselves unnoticeable as we crawled away from the scene. My ears were hurting from the loud gunshots and I had only one thing on my mind—Shannon.

Where is she?

I scanned the road for her, and then stopped when my eyes landed on a car.

Alexis climbed out of it, ran towards me and with the help of Daniel, she got me in the car. Daniel sat in the front with Alexis and I was lying on my back, clutching my shoulder, in the back of the car.

“Alexis, how-“

“Shannon called me.” She said.

Shannon? She had called Alexis?

“Where is she?” I tried to sit up but hissed at the pain, and just lied still.

“Daniel, get down!” Alexis screamed and the car meandered  through the cops car and Laurel’s gang’s car. Someone shot the window of the car, and the glass shattered and broke.

The windshield was broken too.

“Son of a-“ Daniel growled but before he could finish his sentence he got out his gun and fired. Then Alexis came to a tyre-screeching stop, and the door beside me opened. Shannon got in, and she barely managed to close the door before Alexis stomped her foot down onto the gas pedal and sped away.

My eyes locked with hers.

Shannon’s hair had a twig in it, her clothes were covered in grass stains and her cheeks were a deep rosy red. Her eyes were bright and wet, tears spilling down her face.

She looked shaken, scared and anxious.

She sobbed and I slowly, painfully, sat upright. I couldn’t move my left arm because my shoulder was injured, but I lifted my right arm and slung it over her fragile body.

She hid her head in the crook of my neck and I held her close to my chest, resting my chin on the top of her head.

“It’s okay.” I hushed her.

She looked up at me and pecked my cheek softly. “I’m so glad you’re alright.” She sobbed. Her eyes flickered to my shoulder and then back to my face. Her eyes filled with new tears. “My fault.”

“No!” I protested. “Not your fault.”

She shook her head and snuggled close to me again. 

“Hey, you two love-birds, wanna go to the hospital?” Alexis asked, glancing over her shoulder at us. I nodded weakly, I felt really light-headed.

“Keep your eyes on the road,” Daniel ordered, and Alexis gave him the middle finger.

“I can drive without watching where I’m going. I’m special that way.”  

A wave of nausea washed over me.

“Yeah…special.” Daniel murmured and got a punch in the arm from Alexis.

“yes! Jay needs to see a doctor.” Shannon said firmly, and Alexis gave a quick nod, and I sighed. Shannon looked at me.

I gave her a side-way glance.

“What?”

“I..I need to-“

I passed out before she could finish her sentence.