Chapter 8

Chapter 8

::Shannon::

I couldn't believe it. He had surprised me so much with his reaction that I didn't know what to say. He stood up for me!

He protected me!

At home time, I thanked him quickly before I had a chance to blush, which I seemed to do a lot these days.

"Thanks for..you know..that was really cool of you." I smiled up at him.

"No problem.." he gave me a sweet, crooked grin and I just wanted to go up on my tip-toes and kiss him.

I was so taken-a-back by my thoughts that I blushed a deep crimson.

"I gotta go. See ya." he waved briefly and turned around and with long strides, walked back to his car.

So when I got a call from him, asking me out on a date, I agreed.

He told me that he'll pick me up at 3 in the afternoon and I waited anxiously for him.

Like usual, he was very punctual and rang the doorbell at 3 on the dot.

He was wearing a baseball cap on his head, jeans and a plain black t-shirt.

I was wearing shorts and a simple tank top. It was a nice day outside, warm and all, even though it was October.

"So where are we going?" 

He gave me a mysterious look. "Not telling."

I sagged. "Aww, come on!"

"Nope." He popped the 'p'.

I walked over to his car but he shook his head. "We're walking."

"What?" I looked down at my converse, so not appropriate for hiking.

He laughed. "It's only an hour walk, don't worry."

"Only?" I mumbled, but followed him.

"So, uh, how come you never ask me any questions about myself."

"I already know everything."

"What?" I frowned. "How?"

"I just do. I'm like Sherlock Homes."

I giggled. "Sure. What's in that?" I pointed to the backpack that was on his back.

"Something."

I sighed. "You're way too mysterious."

"Mysterious guys are smexy."

"Smexy?"

"Yeah. But I'm not gay, I just heard that from other girls." Jay chuckled.

"So you had a girlfriend before this?"

"Yeah. You?”

"No, I'm as straight as a ruler."

Jay laughed. "I meant have you ever had a boyfriend before."

"Oh. Yeah.." I looked away but Jay didn't pester me after that.

We finally stopped walking and Jay pointed to a big willow tree. The grass was green all around us, a gentle and warm breeze blew my hair. It was kind of like one of those scenes where there's like butterlies fluttering around and flowers blooming everwhere.

Jay took off his backpack and knelt down onto the grass. He took a blanket out and spread it under the tree.

Then he placed four sandwiches (along with tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce) 2 apples, a small packet of strawberries and two chocolate bars. He then took out one big bottle of water and a camera.

"Wow." I watched, smiling. "That's a lot of food."

Jay shrugged and patted the space on the blanket beside him. I sat down, crossing my legs in a Buddha position. Jay leant back against the thick trunk of the tree and chewed happily on a

sandwich.

"What's the camera for?" I bit into my sandwich and nodded over to the camera in his hand.

He grinned sheepishly and pointed the camera at me and took a shot.

"No! I was eating! delete the picture!" I moaned.

"No, you look cute." he looked at the photo. "Your mouth's full of food."

"Not funny, delete it!"

"Nopeeee." he laughed and took another shot of me.

"Stop. Jay!" I reached over, trying to grap the camera out of his hands, but he held it up high.

"Seriously." I groaned as he took pictures after pictures of me.

"You're so silly." he ruffled my hair and I quickly striked out, grabbed the camera and took a few pictures of him. He just sat still and laughed. Then he covered the camera lens and took the camera from me.

We stared into each others eyes and I felt the butterflies in my stomach.

Oh no...

I saw him lean in and he brushed a strand of brown hair out of my eyes. I bit my lower lip but then he stopped leaning in closer and I felt the droplets of rain. They were light, but then turned heavy and heavier.

In a few moments it was pouring.

"Oh my god!" I got to my feet and me and Jay hurried to put everything back inside the backpack. All we had for shelter was the willow tree and Jay held the blanket above our heads as it continued to rain.

"Damn rain." he grumbled and put on a jacket.

I shivered a little, the once warm breeze now turned cold and strong.

"You're cold?" Jay asked, looking at my goosebumps.

I nodded but when he didn't say anything else I scowled at him.

"What?" he noticed I was giving him a dirty look.

"Don't you know?" I sighed.

"Know what, exactly?"

"Guys are meant to give girls their jackets when it's cold.."

"There's no logic in it. I'll be cold if I give you my jacket."

"But it's romantic!"

Jay snorted. "You should've brought your own jacket."

I rolled my eyes but yelped when I felt Jay's arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him, to his chest. I could smell his strong cologne and he wrapped his arms protectively around me, I wasn't cold anymore.

I blushed, like always, and wished that the rain would go on just so I could be in his warm embrace for a little while longer.