Chapter 21

Chapter 21

::Jay::

We drove around for a few hours until we found a motel that wasn’t far away from the airport yet not too close to the town we were at earlier. I didn’t even bother to find out the name. It was a small, isolated town that seemed to stretch out for miles and miles, guarded by forests and the only way out was by a long, narrow road.

Not my type of town.

The motel was pretty big, as far as motels go, and we managed to get a decent room that had two single beds, a  ,very, small en-suite and a large lamp in the corner, near one of the beds.

I was anxious, just in case the staff knew who me and Shannon were—‘criminals’ who stole the bike—well, I guess I was a criminal.

Too bad I had to drag Shannon into this mess.

I looked at her now, sleeping peacefully in the single bed. I was lying on my side on my bed, unable to sleep. I felt calm, somehow just watching Shannon did that to me.

I took my phone out of my pocket when I felt it vibrate. It was a text from

Chad

I opened it and read it.

Just landed earlier than expected. Be here as soon as u can. Don’t make me wait long.

I didn’t bother texting him back, I had no credit on my phone anyway. I slowly got up off the bed and scribbled a quick note for Shannon. In it I wrote that I went to pick Chad, Finn, Daniel and Liam up and that I would be back soon.

I hesitated at the end of the note. Should I say ‘xx’  or ‘see ya’ or ‘take care’ or something? I shook my head internally, that’s lame.

I ended up signing the note as ‘-Jay’ and leaving it at that.

I put the note on my bed and after I grabbed the car keys I quietly closed the door behind me, not wanting to wake Shannon up.

I wondered how long it would take me to get to the airport. Probably about a half an hour or something. My phone vibrated again.

This time it was a text from Alexis.

Hey. Plan worked? Xx

I felt kinda bad for not being able to reply but shrugged it off. There were two x’s at the end of the message; God this girl is hard to get rid of. We had been great friends in primary and then went out in high school, but after she cheated I left her.

Ever guy told me I was an idiot for doing that, since she’s so hot. I rolled my eyes. Yeah, she was, I guess. But her personality…

Shannon, on the other hand-

Why am I thinking about Shannon?!

I shook my head and focused on the road ahead. After we get the diamonds and hand them over to Derek’s gang, this will all be over.

Derek’s gang and the other gang will probably end up fighting, and then we’ll just flee. Fight or flight. And I was seriously sick of doing both by now, but Chad was family—sort of—and I had no other option. A pang of, I couldn’t really put my finger on it, jabbed at me in my chest when I realized that Shannon will most likely go back home.

She’ll leave.

::Shannon::

I woke up to a room with 5 men. Jay, and three other guys that I didn’t recognize—didn’t know—but suspected that they were Chad, Finn, Liam and Daniel.

I rubbed my eyes groggily and ran a hand through my messy hair, hoping it didn’t look too bad, that would be way too embarrassing.

“That’s Daniel. That’s Liam, Finn and Chad.” Jay pointed out the guys to me.

“H-hi.” I mumbled, and blushed. They didn’t look too happy to meet me.

I saw Daniel raise his eyebrows amusingly at me, Liam watching me with a poker face and Chad with an angry expression. Jay had his arms crossed over his chest and he watched me with a deep scowl.

“Good. She’s awake.” Chad moved towards me and before I knew it, he was holding me up by the collar of my t-shirt. I gasped as he pushed me against the wall, and pinned me down, his eyes burning with fury.

Jay made no move to get me out of Chad’s clutches whatsoever.

“Tell me where you put the diamonds, you little whore. Tell me or else I’ll kill you, you understand?” Chad spat.

I stared back at him with a blank expression and then realization dawned on me. They probably checked Jay’s backpack for the diamonds.

And, of course, they weren’t there…

“I-I don’t-“ I stammered, and Chad slapped my cheek.

The pain stung and tears welled in my eyes as my hand flew up to my cheek and covered it. It felt hot and hurt under my palm.

“Chad, what if she doesn’t have them-“ Jay put a hand on Chad’s shoulder and Chad shook it off furiously.

“Of course she has it! She’s got you completely fooled, Jay. I told you not to trust her!” Chad snapped, and turned his attention back to me. “Now tell me where they are, or I swear I’ll-“

“They’re by the road.” I said quickly, not wanted to be slapped again.

Chad narrowed his eyes. “What road, you-“

“The road near the town we were in, the town where Alexis lives.”

Jay’s eyes widened. “By the forest?!”

Chad shook me. “You’re gonna show us where they are, understand?”

I nodded quickly, and wiped the tears from my eyes when he let me go. I dropped down onto the bed again, and Chad turned his back to me, to face Jay.

“Do you know where that is?”

Jay nodded once.

“Get the girl.” Chad ordered Daniel, and Daniel moved towards me. He grabbed me by my arm and pulled me after Chad.

As we were walking out of the motel, I heard Chad say “I don’t want you anywhere near her, understand?”

And I saw Jay nod obediently.

My chest twisted in pain but I refused to let tears escape my eyes.

All that matters to him is the diamonds…

I was sure about that now.