In Which He Realizes Something Important

"Riley!" Cody yells, and Jake grabs my arms, spins me, and throws me against the opposite wall. I groan, and stand.

"Stay! Down!" Jake yells. I smirk.

"I can do this all day." I whisper, and throw punches in. I kick him in the groin, knee him in the face, and push him down.

"Your friend over there is a dick." He spits. I wipe my blood off my face, and smile.

"You fuck with his girl, you get the bad end." His eyes widen.

"His girl?" He stutters.

"I'm his best friend, you idiot!" I yell, opening my arms, looking at Cody secretly. He nods slightly, and I know I saved it.

"You sarcastic bitch." Jake gets up, and I brace myself.

"I'm not the bitch." I smirk, and he throws an uppercut. I block it, punch him in the gut, and kick him in his leg. "Stay down." I breathlessly say, and walk over to Cody. Jake grabs my waist, raises me over his head, and throws me down the hallway. I land on my back, and cry out.

"Riley!!!" Cody yells, and I open my eyes long enough to see him beat Jake into bits. Carly gets him off, and I smile, closing my eyes.

* Cody's POV *

I stop when Carly grabs my arm.

"Cody, get off! He's not worth it!" She yells, and I pant. He crawls away, and his goons help him. A blonde girl follows suit, looking very frightened and worried. I run over to Riley, and yell at Carly to call the police. I check for a pulse, and get more scared when I can't find one.

"Carly! Hurry!" I yell frantically, trying to remain strong for her. I pick her up bridal style, and carry her out of the building. The ambulance takes her, and puts her on a stretcher. The attendant asks for her information, and I rattle off everything I can.

"Please make it." I whisper, and the doors close. The ambulance screams off, and I drop to my knees. Carly comes up behind me, and holds my head to her stomach. I cry, wanting to beat something. A black vehicle drives onto the parking lot, and my brother comes out of the back, looking at me. Carter races in on his motorcycle, and gives me a look as well.

"Hospital, now." I get up, and wipe my eyes. "Questions later." Carly sits with Carter, and I get behind the wheel of our SUV.

As I drive to the hospital, one thing is going in my head. Riley. It may sound stupid, but I do love this girl.

Her quirkiness, the way her hair shines in the sun, her radiance, her ability to shrug things off as if they were nothing, the way she lights my world up with just a few words..

I can't live without her now, and most guys would hate that, but I'm not most guys.

I want my baby in my arms. I need my love to be okay. My world has to be alive. Or I die with her.

I pull in the parking lot of the hospital, and run in.

"Sir?" The receptionist looks at me funny.

"Riley Greg. Make it snappy please." She looks at me.

"Relation?" She asks me.

And for once life goes my way today.

"Husband." I show her my ring chained around my neck, and  she gives me another funny look.

"Sir, I'm going to need something more than a wedding ring for a 17 year old." I sigh.

"Ma'am, my wife is about to die from brutal injuries and if I don't see her, there will be problems. I'm 18 and I can be married if I choose to. She is my world, and if you don't let me see her, I will call in someone who will make sure you will." My hands curl into fists, and she nods, typing.

"Room 345." I nod, and run away. I run to her room, and look through the giant window by the door.

"Cody?" I turn to see Carter glaring at me.

"Carter, I know this looks bad, but let me explain." I hold my hands up.

"Carly told me everything on the way. I wanted to say thank you." I look at him in shock.

"Um..." Is all I can manage.

"You taught Grenno a lesson. You took care of my baby sister. In my book, you're the best man for Riley. Nobody would do that for her. Sure, she'd still be here, but you beat up her attacker. And I know that because Carly told me he hit her first." I look at my baby in the bed.

"Yeah. Thanks." He pulls me into a hug, and a doctor cones to us

"Which one of you is Cody Maze?" I hold my hand up. A couple of police officers come behind me and handcuff me, as I look at Riley again before being taken away.

They put me in the back of the car, and drive off, not saying a word, other than reading me my Miranda Rights.

And boy will this be a story for the kids one day.

#######

AN;
Hey guys, so as I wrote this, it came to me that we've only seen Cody as a softie. I had to input something that would show us his dark, bad boy side. And I think having the fight with Jake like the beginning of the book kind of shows us why he had to do that.

But did anybody else just tear up at his speeches? Or when he was driving?

You guys are going to hate me for doing this to you, so I apologize in advance. I also apologize for making this chapter so short.

So, I also want to say thank you for taking time out of your day to read this book. It means so much to me that you guys like it.

Xx. AFreak