In Which I Say Hi

"Riley! Just shut up already!" My older brother, Carter, yells at me. I throw my sketch book at him.

"Carter. Quit being a jerk and get out of my room!" I yell back, making him slam my door. I sigh. "Sorry, Carly." I apologize to my phone, which as my best friend's face on it.

"It's totally fine. So are you coming to the festival? The gates open in half an hour." She gives me her puppy dog look.

"Fine! Give me about 15 minutes to get changed and over there." I hang up the call, and go to my closet.

I put on a greyish button down with the sleeves rolled up, black leggings, blue Converse All-Stars, and my grey watch. I readjust my silver heart locket my mom gave me back when I entered high school, and then redo my makeup.

I grab my bag, before turning off the lights next to my mirror wall, and kiss my mom's cheek.

"I'm going to the festival with Carly! Don't expect me home before 7." I say, and she grins.

"Be back before 9, young lady, or your ass is mine!" She yells as I close the door. I walk the eight blocks to Carly's house, when she yells and waves at me.

"Riles!" She squeaks, and I cringe, before hugging her.

"Hey Carly." She grins and gets into her 2015 Ford F-150. Yeah, guess whose jealous.

This girl.

I climb into the passenger's seat, and she gives me her special look.

"You invited Jake didn't you." I state and she nods.

"I just wanted to go with him, this one time. But I invited you because you don't get out as much, and I'm helping." She throws it into reverse and backs out. She kicks it to drive, and starts down her street.

"Ugh I don't want to third wheel though!" I groan.

"Riley Ann Greg, you will attend the festival, and you will have fun!" She middle names me, and I groan again. My iPhone buzzes in my hands, and I look.

Lee<3: Mom says you're going to the festival. Stop by the pinwheel booth and grab some $ from me. You'll need it.

Me: thanks, I'll swing by. Carles is making me third wheel again! *cries*

Lee<3: Poor thing. Maybe you can keep me company. *wink*

Me: keep the sexual favors for Marcus. Ew.

Lee<3: you dickhead, I meant you should come and sit with me.

Me: yes, because I was born with a dick on my head. Perfect. Brilliant. Great.