~Nineteen~

Jude Christopher Brahm,

Today, before I got here, the doctor's said you seemed to be trying to talk. You didn't respond to him, you didn't speak any full words, but you were talking. In your sleep, perhaps.

He said it's the best sign we've had since you got in that crash and ended up here.

So what were you saying? Will you say it to me?

Will you tell me what you said?

~ ~ ~

We had lived in our little house for five months by the time we both felt like traveling again.

It was a sudden thing, the decision to get back on the road. We made it over dinner and a pitcher of pink lemonade.

"I've been thinking," you said, setting your fork on your emptied plate. "That it's been awhile since we saw a place we didn't know. How would you like a trip?"

I looked up, heart rate increasing. "I'd love to go somewhere."

"Where?" 

I shrugged, smiling. I only had a couple of bites left of dinner, but I completely forgot about finishing when you said something about travel.

Maybe it was a part of my soul to want to be everywhere at once, but the closest I ever came to feeling that way was being caught between point A and point B.

It was the most freeing feeling I had ever experienced.

You smiled back at me. "Because--and don't scold me--I've been on some travel sites, and plane tickets to Hawaii are really cheap right now."

"Why would I scold you?" I said, grinning. "So you're saying we could go?"

"Yeah. We could leave whenever."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm the butterflies in my chest, but without success. So I got up and crossed to your side of the table to take your hands. "Dance with me."

You stood, but you looked laughingly uncertain. "There's no music, baby."

"Mm," I chuckled,  dancing nonetheless. "You don't need music to dance when you're already groovy."

"Groovy? Where did you come from? The sixties?" you teased, twirling me around.

I let go of your hand and stepped away, then turned on my phone and searched for a decent song. 

I hit shuffle when none of the ones I saw suited my fancy.

"There," I sighed, stepping back to you. "Music. How's that?"

"Perfect." You chuckled, glancing toward my phone. "Odd song choice, though."

I shrugged, leaning against you. "I'm happy."

Your hand moved to my back to steady me. "I'm glad."

"Why?" I tilted my head back to get a good look at your face, trying to read your expression.

Sometimes your voice was a liar, you see. Only your eyes continually told the truth about what you were feeling.

You smiled slowly. "Because we're healing, and nothing has ruined us for each other."

"You have too little faith in the power of simplicity," I mused, looking down. "We've never been complicated people. It's always been pretty simple."

"So the answer to everything is simplicity?"

"Maybe." I shrugged, grinning a bit. "Maybe it's music."

"Maybe it's your smile." Your voice dripped with sunlight.

"Maybe it's your soul."

"The answer to life?" you asked, voice softer than before.

I nodded against your chest. "It sounds plausible to me."

When you laughed, it was the sweetest thing I'd heard in a long while. It was full and unhindered, genuine, and happy. Maybe a little bit disbelieving, but I didn't care.

You could usually make me care, dear, but sometimes I didn't have the desire to let you.

The song changed, and you shook your head, smiling. "I think your phone has it out for us. None of these songs are dancing songs."

"Do they have to be?" I asked, laughing. Then, thinking, I sighed happily. "Can we leave on Thursday night?"

You chuckled. "We could leave tonight if you wanted to badly enough."

"What about your job?"

"They've hired another guy who needs the job more than I do. He's more than willing to work my hours."

"So... we could leave whenever?"

You nodded. "Yep."

"And we could stay for however long?"

"Yep. I won't get paid for the hours I don't work, obviously, but yes."

I grinned. "Can we leave tomorrow?"

You smiled. "Sure. Just pack, and we can leave when I get home."

"Are you a dream?" I chuckled, grinning teasingly. I reached up and tapped your nose. "Hmm. Nope, solid as a rock."

You leaned down to kiss me softly. "There. Like a rock."

"Thank you for being so unbelievably sweet."

"Being with you is the best reason not to work."

I sighed. "Someday you'll have to get a serious job, and we won't be able to be irresponsible and travel. Won't that be sad."

You shrugged. "Until my college fund is depleted, enjoy your life. After that, we'll have to be adults."

"What a horrible thought," I teased, laughing. I straightened to press a quick kiss to your lips.

You smiled, softly, simply, without sadness. "It's unfair, isn't it?"

~ ~ ~

Sometimes...

No, never mind.

I'm sorry.

Wake up for me?

Sincerely,

Aurora