~Nine~

Jude Christopher Brahm,

I remember when I was six and my grandmother told me that there was no prince charming, and that love was all blood, sweat, and tears.

I was far too young for the knowledge of that reality. I believed too much of what I saw in the princes, I believed too much chivalry, I believed too much perfect manliness.

That is, until I met you.

I'm sad that my grandmother never got to meet you, because if she had seen you at our wedding, she would have taken everything back that she told me that day over cookies and milk.

(But perhaps I'm just too biased. Maybe.)

~ ~ ~

Do you remember the song that was playing all of that day? No, no you wouldn't... but I had it on repeat in my head all day.

At last...

I watched my mother in the mirror as she strategically pinned it up, a piece here, a piece there. A loose curl here, a tight touch-up there.

"Are you excited?" my aunt asked, resting a hand on my shoulder.

I smiled, and after a moment, nodded.

The decision of a "when" for our wedding wasn't nearly as much of a shock that I thought it would be. You brought it up one day, casually, and we settled on a date, which was two weeks away. We told your parents when it was only one week away. (Even though my parents knew about the impending wedding only hours after we did.)

"And we all know that he is," my cousin chuckled, fanning herself. "That bunch of roses he sent over leaves us with no doubts--Jude is very excited."

I probably blushed, but Mom's hands running through my hair kept my shoulders relaxed.

Those people. My family. My mortification.

I wished I could find you and hide with you until it was all over.

At last...

Mom was done with my hair soon after, and my aunt started on my makeup.

It was only two. I had four hours until I wouldn't have to face these people by myself anymore.

. . .

My dress was on. My hair was done. My makeup was touched and retouched until I was sure that I would look nothing like myself. (Though Mom assured me I looked beautiful.)

"Fifteen minutes, Miss Blaire," Mom hummed happily, giving me a smile.

At last...

I returned the smile, even though the thought sent my heart into a mess of fluttering nonsense.

"Fifteen minutes," I agreed, looking over at Daddy. He smiled at me, too. 

He was all dressed to give me away, but I could see it in his eyes that the thought didn't rest easy with him. His smiles were too bright, his hand too shaky.

I didn't mention it, though. I only stepped a bit closer and hugged him.

"You're going to be someone else's girl in a few minutes, Sweetheart."

"I'll always be your girl," I said softly. "And soon, I'll always be his woman."

"I love you. And if anything ever happens, my home is your home," Dad said..

"I love you, too. But don't worry. He loves me."

"I know he does."

I looked up at him, and tears filled my eyes at the sight of the tears in his.