~Twelve~

Jude Christopher Brahm,

I stayed at Mom's last night. She came to see you with me earlier.

She has so much hope for you, Christopher. She believes so much, almost as much as I do.

The doctors have started bothering me again. They still want to switch the nutrition formula.

(Idiots.)

But I swear, if they mess with something without asking me first, I'll make sure they regret it. No one gets to touch you without having to answer to me. (And believe me, no one wants to have to answer to me.)

But you already know that, don't you?

God, I miss your smiles, Jude. Come back.

~ ~ ~

We'd only been on the road for an hour before I made you pull over, and I lost my breakfast.

"Are you okay?" you asked, rubbing my shoulder gently. You looked concerned, worried even.

My stomach had been upside down and inside out for the last two days, but it hadn't been this bad. I had been able to quell the feeling with a tylenol and a moment sitting down.

This morning, however, I'd only been able to deny the feeling until we were on the road.

You knew something was up. I wasn't the carsick type.

"Do you want to stop at the next town? If you need to, we can call it a day."

"It's not even noon yet," I managed, closing my eyes. "Just... try to keep going? I'll be okay."

"You'll be okay?" You ducked your head to get a better look at my face, searching my eyes. "Are you sure? Absolutely sure?"

"I'll be fine," I sighed, mustering a little smile.

We got back in the car and went on.

"Drink some water," you said, handing me a bottle. "Maybe it will settle your stomach."

I took a couple of sips and set it back in the cup holder, closed my eyes, and tried to sleep.

I dozed for most of the day.

By the time night fell and you checked us into a hotel, my stomach had settled.

You carried both of our bags up because you wouldn't let me carry my own. I opened and closed every door to make up for it.

"Chill out," you said. "If you're sick, you shouldn't be exerting yourself."

"I'm fine," I assured you. "It was just something I ate. I'm sure of it."

You handed me the room key, and I unlocked the door. "Aurora, I love you, but really. Just in case."

"'Just in case' what? I feel fine now." I sat down on the edge of the bed, and flicked the lamp on. "Jude, I really love you, but really. I'm fine." I looked up at you teasingly.

You shook your head, dropped the bags, and sighed. "Fine. I'll take your word for it."

I stood and pressed a kiss to your cheek. "Thank you."

"Don't worry about it, dear." You grinned a teasing grin and ran a hand through your hair. "Now what?"

I shrugged. "Watch some TV?"

"Sounds good to me."

I changed into a comfortable t-shirt and shorts and climbed into bed, picking up the remote to turn the TV on.

You put on a pair of flannel pants and climbed in beside me, propping your back up with pillows. "Found anything?"

I shook my head, flipping past a few channels that mainly consisted of reality TV and other such junk. The Kardashians? No, thank you. Not today.