Chapter Two - Our New (Dirty) Family

Here's chapter two... as promised! Hopefully y'all love this one like chapter one. Thanks to all my fans and all the fellow writers on Wattpad and around the world. All of this is unedited, please remember that when commenting! Thanks again... 

This chapter is dedicated to one of my dearest fans. She gave me some great tips for this chapter and I owe her a lot for finishing this tonight! Check out her awesome stories too! :) 

Eggs sizzled in the black frying pan as Lauryn clambered down the stairwell. Every smell about this place was either disgusting or completely wonderful to Lauryn. The oppressive house wasn’t the most fancy, but it was subtle in the things that truly counted-like the big canoe hanging from a thirty-foot ceiling.

            For a moment Lauryn thought she liked it, but this place would never be home; home was the estate with maids she didn’t even know the names of; home was a five minute walk to the inviting pacific coast; home was all concrete and sand; home just simply wasn’t here and Lauryn was optimistic it would never be.

            It wasn’t that she hated it here, but Lauryn’s father wasn’t the most responsible when it came to keeping his word. Lauryn guessed he wouldn’t even call again for weeks, if at all.

            Lauryn did agree, however, on the point her father had made while they drove into Colorado; she would find a purpose in coming here, even if the purpose wasn’t exactly clear to her yet. All she kept thinking was, things will get better, but sometimes she even challenged herself. Lauryn wanted to prove that a city girl like her could stay out here in the middle of Colorado with a bunch of muddy cowboys until she found what father had told her to.

            Many thoughts came by her mind while she stood there on the stairwell. Her father’s depart, grandfather acting so strange, and even that jerk of a cowboy. Bret seemed to be the type who’d had plenty of chances to swoon girls, but then again he was a mystery to Lauryn.

            She silently wondered, what could’ve happened last night? Bret seemed to like her, but he was a country boy after all. Even if Lauryn did come around to liking him, there would be an obvious separation between them that neither could change.

            A rough voice ruined her train of thought and she looked up. It was only grandfather, standing on the bottom of the stairs with a puzzling expression.

            “Are you done thinking Lauryn?” Grandfather’s voice echoed through the wooden great room. Honestly, Lauryn didn’t even know he was standing there or she wouldn’t have been in such profound deliberation. Lauryn nodded silently. “Well good because breakfast is ready, come here.” He waved the hand which wasn’t stirring to Lauryn’s spot at an enormous wooden dining table.

  Lauryn asked herself why grandfather was making such an effort to become the family she'd longed for over these past few years. She just thought it was because he didn't want to lose her again, but there wasn't any way Lauryn was staying here any longer than needed. 

   Lauryn gulped once she sat down at her place. Lauryn could vaguely remember when grandfather and she built that table. Lauryn was only six and had positively too many questions to ask about everything. She smiled to herself for remembering. Grandfather and she always had the best times.

            Lauryn could hardly believe all the years he’d missed, all the times she wished he would simply call and tell her that she was loved; but Lauryn couldn’t bear to think of it anymore. It was all a burden she didn’t want to hold up any longer. Lauryn was weary of every sunset, each day without grandfather. She missed him for those five years and now that Lauryn was back again, that feeling of comfort was lost.