Chapter Three - You're Never Going to Win

Chapter three everyone! Let me remind you again that this is unedited so please keep that in mind when commenting! I hope y'all like it and enjoy. Again, please don't comment saying for me to read your story. I really don't have time, when I do then I'll try but I can click on your user... THANKS! 

Jonah walked up past the main barn. It wasn’t daunting to Jonah, he quite liked being inside of its solid, wooden walls. He didn’t think of himself as vulnerable while being protected by it.

Though old, the barn’s charming, outward appearance was simple; beauty wasn’t important, or so it seemed. All of the secrets were on the inside and Jonah hoped it would stay that way.

He didn’t like when things were told out of spite, or vengeance against another. As dear, wise Pops always said to him, “What happens in my barn stays in my barn.” Jonah laughed to himself.

Pops wasn’t one to easily anger at things, but he did honor everyone’s right to secrecy and having minds of our own. Jonah especially liked when Pops asked him how his day was coming along, even is Pops’ wasn’t going accordingly.

Jonah was quite grateful for this; his past didn't correspond with what he'd wished happened and much that Jonah wanted to stay in that barn, needed to for the sake of others. He wondered if Pop's knew about those times, but then again, if Jonah asked him and Pop's truly didn't; where would he be then?

The bright paint was wearing off and a piece of bark which previously served as a swing was broken. One of Bret’s jobs was to paint it again for old Pops. The novelty of this didn’t surprise Jonah at all.

                “Of course he hasn’t done it yet,” Jonah muffled his words murderously under hot breathing. “Why would he when all of his time is spent on flirting?” The sarcasm wasn’t hidden from his tone. Jonah cursed profoundly, though barely above a whisper.

                “Hasn’t done what Jonah?” The tone was unmistakably prying. Jonah rolled his eyes so much they plausibly would have stuck like that if he’d continued any longer.

                “Absolutely nothing Zach,” Jonah gave in. “Why are you so annoying all the time?” Jonah despised Zachary, that boy shocked any decent man’s core. Jonah thought of him as deceitful and rude, but he was Jonah's best friend ever since they could remember. All in all, he wasn't going to let Zach make the same mistakes again; sometimes Jonah felt like he was a little harsh on Zach and suddenly grew a guilty pit in his stomach, but then other times it was as if they could've been brothers. 

                Zach scoffed and said, “You’re just jealous because I’ve got favor in Pops’ mind and y’all younglings here doesn’t. Experience is key in everything little Jonah, you just remember that while you’re picking daisies.” Zach chuckled slyly. Jonah rolled his eyes again. Jonah dully spoke, retorting proudly.

                “Well, at least I can keep a secret.” Jonah glared at him with an urge to murder. Zach froze.

                “Pops told you not to say nothing about… you know.” He stopped short. Jonah wondered why Zach was being so timorous about the subject. Jonah knew that what had ensued to them wasn’t good, but neither could ignore the inevitable.

                “I know that you aren’t going to let this go and what else are we supposed to do Zachary?” Jonah paused, deep in thought about which way to communicate this. “Everything that happened, it doesn’t affect us now. Bret is happily moving on and so should you.”

                “You don’t understand Jonah, that accident, everything that happened; I can’t let it go any longer.” Zach confessed. Jonah looked at his boots. He felt horrible for Zach, but at the same time, Jonah was torn between telling him to forget about it and move on or saying that it would all blow over in good time. Either one didn’t seem like a possible option to Jonah.