Chapter 12

This chapter isn't perfect, so constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Enjoy!

****

The next day I go back to the wheat fields by

myself. I'm too scared to sit close to the officers again so I sit on a bench to the side, just within earshot of the loudest officer.

I feel my back straighten, as if a string is pulling it upright. My shoulders tense and I stare straight ahead of me. I can hear the officers laughing, but I'm too scared to look.

Past the railing and one flight below, I can see dozens of field workers hacking away at the grain. Sometimes I think that farming would be a nice job to have despite the physical pain because of the sunlight streaming in, but then one of the officers will let out an obnoxious laugh or snide remark and I realize I wouldn't be able to handle it. After just one day of hearing their rude slander, I would have snapped—something that is a deadly mistake in Indigne.

My back grows even more rigid and I try to relax it by rolling my shoulders and slightly slouching in my seat. One officer's loud voice carries over to me and my ears perk up to listen.

"WHAT?" His reaction to his friend's remark is followed by a cackle and two slaps as they clap hands. "You caught her? Just like that?" I peek at the two officers without turning my head. They sit with their elbows on their knees and their legs spread far apart. One of the limited bottles of wine is lodged between the loud officer's hands. I look away in disgust. The other officer says something, probably explaining the story some more, and they laugh again.

Their laughter stops and one officer says in a significantly lower voice, "You know what I heard?"

I wait for an answer. A few seconds go by and I don't hear one. I peek again and can see that they've leaned in next to each other. Their mouths move and I can hear murmurs, but I can't make out their words. They look like two fifteen-year old girls sharing juicy gossip.

I take a deep breath and stand up before I can chicken out. With a penguin like posture, I waddle past them as naturally as I can manage. Hopefully their drunkenness will affect their ability to notice my awkwardness.

I remember the people scrutinizing me from behind the mirrors so I turn to look at the fields instead. As I grow nearer, I slow down slightly to catch their words.

"I know, it's crazy! They're ordering investigations an..."

My stomach flips at the word investigations.

"Hey!" One of the officers calls out behind me. My breath hitches. I feel my heart pounding in my chest as I slowly turn to face them.

The officer looks annoyed. He snaps at me, "Watch it!"

I cast my eyes downward. "I'm so sorry sir."

"Yah you better be. Next time don't stand so close."

"Yes sir." I say, before practically running out of the field room and into the elevator. It isn't until Annabel greets me and I'm safely inside my room that I relax.

That night, I lie awake thinking about what I had heard. The officer had talked about someone ordering investigations. That must mean that someone suspects something. About what, I don't know. I desperately hope it has nothing to do with me.

****

For a few days, I avoid the fields and officers. I have this paranoid feeling of someone following me, but when I look around, I don't see anyone. I think the investigation has made me start imagining things.

I finally decide that I'm being silly and that it's time to stuff my anxiety down the toilet and get back into spy mode.

After working at the nursery and delivering three babies, I ride the elevator back down to the field room. I bring some paperwork from the nursery this time in order to tone down my suspicious level.

I sit down on a bench clear across the field room. Three officers sit together having lunch at their usual spot. I'm too far away to notice if I recognize any of them.

In the next hour, I work on charts and patient updates while glancing up every few minutes. At just quarter after 18, something interesting happens. Another officer walks in.

The men sitting down stop their conversation, but smile up at the newcomer with friendliness and respect. He gestures to them, and like one fluid body, they stand up and follow him.

I hurriedly grab my papers together, not taking my eyes off the lead officer. Before he leaves my eyesight, he turns his head suddenly to look at me. His eyes bore into my skull and I recognize who it is. Tyler.

I break eye contact with him immediately and stare down at my papers. Tyler. Oh my god. Does he know? Could he be the head of the investigation?

I repress my emotions, gather up my once again scattered belongings, and exit the fields after the group of officers. All the while trying to act like I'm not actually a spy acting as creepy stalker that works for Dr. Shields who is the head of an unknown master plan. God, why did I get myself into this mess?

***

Thanks so much for reading! Please leave comments I love reading them! (literally just comment anything and you'll make me happy XD)

xoxo

justaddchocolate