Chapter 11

This chapter is dedicated to @NavySeal117 for patiently awaiting this new chapter! :)

Hi, guys! Thank you so much if you've stuck around to see if I'd ever update. I'm so thankful to whoever has :) There's no excuse for my delayed update besides life...but anyways, here's the new update! It's a little rushed, but PLEASE give me feedback so I can improve!

(this is a project for school so I really value your feedback. It'll improve my grade haha)

***

--One week later--

The baby boy's blue eyes stare up at me from my arms. I smile down at him, feeling love and adoration for this very new bundle of joy. He reaches his arms up to touch my hair and I let out a giggle. His small mouth forms a wide grin, exposing a toothless smile.

"Can you please let me hold him? He's my first born." I look up at the boy's mother who's not much older than me, Christiana. She lies in bed and her sad eyes stare longingly at her baby.

My heart squeezes but I have to give her the dreaded response. "I'm sorry, but it's government protocol. We can't run the risk of a mother getting attached to..." I hesitate, thinking of Annabel, but continue with my scripted answer, "an unfit baby."

The mother's eyes fill with pain as she looks away. I want to whisper I'm sorry, but I know officers are watching.

I see the mother clench her hands together again and again, forcing herself to not look at her baby. He stares sideways at his mother and stretches a hand out, his fingers reaching for her.

I cup the baby to my shoulder and leave the room. There's no reason to make this harder than it already has to be.

As I set him down on the changing table in another room, I find myself wondering why they need a week to figure out if a baby is "unfit." I know that it's partly because scientists want to make sure that the babies don't have any diseases, but could it also be that they're looking for abilities?

The boy lets out a wail and starts to cry. His arms flail up and down in panicky motions.

"Shhh." I try to soothe him and rest a hand on his head. "It's okay. You can see your mommy in a week. I need to get you dressed for the testers now."

As I'm unfolding the navy blue onesie, my hand touches something hard like paper. I freeze, feeling my heart pounding against my ribcage. I reach with trembling hands to lift up the cloth. A small corner of a letter peeks out under the material.

Dr. Shields.

I haven't heard anything from her for a week. She's finally given me my first letter.

Luckily the baby changing room is one of the few places where there aren't officers watching.

I'm about to take the letter out when I stop, remembering that there are others besides the officers that I need to worry about. Involuntarily, I glance sideways at the mirror to my right. A scared girl with wild unkempt brown hair stares back at me. I rip my eyes from my reflection and instead pivot so my back faces the mirror.

I take out the letter and stick it into my pocket, keeping my eyes trained on the baby boy that has now stopped crying. I finish dressing him and bring him out to the nursery with the other babies.

Once I've said bye to Sophia, I go straight home. Annabel smiles at me once I come in.

The mirror on our wall reflects my image back to me. I feel goosebumps form along my skin as I think about who could be watching me right now.

"Annabel, I need to go to the bathroom. I'll be back soon."

"Okie-dokie." Annabel replies, getting back to her drawing.