Prologue

Birds were chirping as the morning sun peaked over the horizon. The rays of sunshine targetted Sapphire's eyes, making her twitch in discomfort. After she tossed and turned for many minutes, she inevitably lost the battle of sleeping in and groaned. She was never a morning person, especially on Thursdays.

But without her knowledge, today was going to be different.

Sapphire eventually sat up and wiped her eyes, still feeling groggy. She swung her legs off the side of her mattress as she lifted to her feet.  She haphazardly pushed her large dark-colored framed glasses onto her nose so that she would be able to see on this glorious morning.

 Sapphire Imbens is a 13-year-old girl that lived what she believed was an average life. She lived in a house in the suburbs, went to the type of public school that had no glamor, and spent her free time reading fantasy books.

She didn't have any other siblings, and although sometimes she is lonely, she thought that was a bit of an advantage. Not only did she not have to deal with anyone other than her parents, but she also got new clothes and no hand-me-downs. She mainly spent the time reading fantasy books about faraway kingdoms and hidden princesses to fill the empty void whenever it came.

Her hair was long and curly, the color of straw. She often wore it in a ponytail since she wasn't talented at creating fun ways to style it. Her eyes were such a deep blue color that they almost looked like sapphires. She figured that must be why her name was Sapphire She didn't stand out much from the crowd, but a part of her preferred it that way.

She dressed in a light blue t-shirt, a dark pair of jeans, black Converse shoes, and put on a bracelet that had a little silver cat charm.

After she was prepared for the day, she grabbed her black backpack, school computer, and water bottle, which were silver and decorated with cat stickers.

Sapphire raced down the stairs to find her mother and father sitting, chatting over a cup of coffee. It seems as though Sapphire had missed breakfast today. Guess that's what she gets for rolling around in her bed longer than intended.

They paused their conversation when their eyes met with the appearance of the teen.

Her mother flashed her a gentle smile, "Good morning hun, you ought to get going. You slept in more than usual today so make sure you grab something to eat from the pantry before you head out today." she suggested, gesturing towards the pantry door with her lukewarm coffee mug.

Sapphire snatched a couple of granola bars and waved her parents goodbye before heading out to school.

~~

Sapphire was a loner at school. She was rarely picked on and she wasn't a target for bullying, but she never really had anyone that she spoke to on a daily basis. It was hard to relate to any of her classmates when they all had other people that they held near and dear to their hearts when she had no one. She tried not to let it get to her, but sometimes all she really wanted was someone to talk to.

As she walked in, a couple of people were giving her curious stares. Her chest tightened a little bit - was there something on her face? She would have to go to the bathroom to fix it.

She entered to the bathroom and peered closely at her reflection in the mirror. To her surprise, she discovered that her hair had a strange blue tint to it. She dismissed the thought; she was just having an off day from the slow morning.

Sapphire's spine had a shiver go down it as the bell rang, signifying that class had started. Realization hit her like a brick - she had to get back to class! Flinging the door of the bathroom, she dashed down the hall, receiving more curious stares.

She raced back to her locker and grabbed the things that she would need for the first class of the day - math. Math was a class that she was neural about, but her teacher was no-nonsense to everyone. She approached the classroom door, hesitating before walking in.

She made her way towards her desk, as her teacher had their back to the class as he wrote on the whiteboard. Maybe he wouldn't notice...

"I thought that you were better than this, Ms. Imbens." said her teacher in a monotone voice.

Drats! She sighed before speaking, "I'm sorry, sir. It won't happen again." she apologized, her head looking down, feeling a few of her classmates stare at her.

"What a great way to start the day." she thought to herself as she leaned her head on her hand.