I picked it up in a flash and pressed it to my ear. "Hey Hailie," I said, smiling a little.

"Hey Dad. Where are you?"

"I'm at the studio baby."

"You missed lunch."

"It's alright. I had a sandwich. What did you girls have?"

"Nathan was out all day with his friends. But me and Whitney had grilled cheese and Alaina had some ravioli."

"Oh okay good."

"What are we making for dinner?"

"Listen baby, I might miss a part of dinner."

"Why?"

"Because...um. I have a date tonight." I sighed and shuffled my feet. Never before have I told Hailie or any of my girls I had a date. I had no idea how she would take this.

"You have a date? Oh my God, really?"

"Yeah, it's not a big deal though," I lied casually. I had a feeling she was beaming on the other end of the line.

"Yes it is! You've never had a date before. What's her name?"

"Adrienne."

"That's really pretty."

"It's alright," I lied again, even though I wanted to murmur how nice it was.

"Can I meet her?"

I exhaled, thinking. "I don't know, honey. I don't want her telling the paparazzi anything about you or Alaina or Whitney. I want you girls to be protected as possible. I can't trust her yet."

"Oh..." This was something we were all used to. My main effort was for my girls to go to school like any other girl and go to school, with limited contact from Hailie's mom and my ex-wife, Kim, and no contact with the paparazzi. "Well, if you get to trust her, can we meet her?"

"Yeah," I chuckled.

"Okay good." She giggled. "How long will you be out for?"

"I'm going to pick her up soon. And we're only going for some coffee. So about two hours. You think you can handle that?" When I wasn't at the studio, I was at home with the girls. I'd even cut down on tour because of how much distance, real and emotional, it'd put between us. After my battle with addiction, I realized my daughters were the most important thing in my life and hip hop came second to their well-being. I only wish I'd noticed sooner.

"Yeah, sure. Just have fun."

"I will. Be safe, and I have my phone if you need me."

"Alright. And Dad?"

"Yes, baby?"

"Do you really like her?" She was silent on her end and I was silent on mine. I couldn't lie to her. But I didn't know how she'd take the truth.

"Yeah. Yeah I do," I hesitated.

"Good. Because you deserve love and someone to love." She said it so simply, like it was a fact, just rolling off her tongue. I swallowed.

"Thank you, Hay."

"It's all good. I'll talk to you later."

"Love you," I reminded her quickly before she could hang up. She chuckled into the phone.

"Love you too. Bye."

We both hung up and I noticed while I'd been talking to Hailie, I'd gotten a text from Adrienne.

Her: Hey Marshall. When do you want to pick me up?

Me: How about now? You ready?

Her: Yeah, now's fine.