Chapter 23

Today was probably one of the best days of my life. Today was the day I was being released from the hospital; and I could, somewhat, talk!

“Someone’s excited,” Jasper smirked causing me to, maturely, stick my tongue out at him.

“Come on Hazel let’s get you dressed,” Alice smirked helping me out of bed.

“Thank you,” my voice was a little bit above a whisper. She smiled leading me to the bathroom.

“Call if you need help,” she said handing me a pile of clothes. I nodded taking it and looking them over. She had brought me a long sleeved sweater dress that felt nice against my skin and she also had brought me a pair of flats that were black. It took me a little longer to get dressed because I was still in pain.

“Ready,” Rosalie asked coming in from signing me out.

“Yes.” Jasper wrapped his arms around my waist to keep me up incase my legs gave out. Once I was secured in the passenger seat of Rosalie’s red BMW. Rosalie pulled out of the parking lot . The ride to their house took longer than I remembered and I found myself drifting off.

“Hazel,” a gruff voice woke me from my sleep.

“Hmmm,” I mumbled not wanting to move.

“I got it Emmett,” I recognized Carlisle’s voice through my sleepy haze. He put one of his arms around my waist and the other went under my knees; picking me up. I lay my head on his chest inhaling his warm icy scent.

The next time I was coherent it was dark outside. I sat up surveying my surroundings. Dark blue satin sheets adorned the king sized bed that I was on and I was covered by a black quilt.

“Carlisle,” I called softly. Opening the door to, what I thought was, the hallway I held down a scream upon seeing him standing there, “You scared the crap out of me.” I breathed a sigh of relief calming down my racing heart.

“I’m sorry,” he said with an amused twinkle in his eyes; he wasn’t sorry.

“What time is it,” I asked with a playful glare.

“Eight P.M.; you slept through lunch but I can make you something for a late dinner,” he replied.

“Yes please,” I said following him downstairs. I noticed that the kids weren’t around as I sat at the counter.

“Carlisle where are the kids,” I asked.

“None of them have gone hunting in the while.”

“I’m sorry,” I said looking down. He placed his hand under my chin making me look up at him. His golden eyes were stern causing a shudder to go through my body, “What has happened is not your fault. I never want to hear you blame yourself again.” I nodded biting my lip stammering, “O-okay.” He let go turning back to the stove. It was now that I noticed he was wearing an apron. Underneath he was wearing black slacks with a light pink, really light pink, dress shirt.

“What,” he asked hearing me giggle.

“Nothing,” I smiled shaking my head. Seeing my phone on the counter I picked it up turning it on.