Chapter 1 - Screaming Eagles

Quick shoutout before we begin the novel of the newest series, everyone!This book's dedicated to my great Grandfather, Corporal George E. Murray of the 101st Airborne, who was in active combat during the war.

Along with his battle participation of Normandy, he and his company were amongst the first boots to set foot into Germany through an airdrop. He and his company landed in the Black Forest to commence active engagement with the enemy.

**June 6th; 24:12 hours, RAF Andrews Field, Essex England.At the airstrip, several rows of C-47 Skytrains are lined up while many more were parked along with the hangars, in a queue for the upcoming takeoff. The center of attention is on the Regiment's executive officer Major James O'Brian. He called for his Company officers and their Lieutenants to gather around for the briefing he was tasked to give.

Once he felt everyone's eyes on him and the assembled officers become quiet, he looks down off of his notes he took beforehand and began to summarize what was written.

"The 101st Airborne's 501st Parachuting Infantry Regiment (PIR), aka us, will be dropped 10 miles into Normandy east of Le Haye-Du-Punts... We're then to proceed towards Carentan and assist with capturing bridges, towns, and any surrounding roads leading to the beaches. This is called mission Albany boys, and we're going to be the very first into the Kraut lines. So that means it's our asses if we don't secure those bridges or towns to prevent the Krauts from reinforcing the beaches." James said, beginning the briefing to the regimental officers.

"Just like in training, once you've landed. Form up with your men at the designated rally points, then once you believe everyone is in attendance. Move out and begin your push towards the nearest town to secure it; this goes for those bridges too... I'll leave the rest to the Captains and how they want to spread their forces." James said, then after a moment, he adds, "Questions?"

"Yeah, sir, I got one. Why are Bravo and Easy company heading to Carentan as one while the other companies are fortifying bridge and roads leading to Utah and Omaha?" The man with a noticeable mid-western accent said.

"Because, as said, Easy and Bravo will secure Carentan. However, Bravo will be securing any bridge and road between Carentan and the beaches, leaving Easy company to assault the town. In contrast, other companies do the same in their assigned operation areas." James says, stopping for a moment to allow the officers to absorb the information further.

"Once La Hays and Carentan are secured, company Captains. You're responsible for holding the roads and bridges until the landing forces have established a beachhead and have pushed enough inland to relieve you." James said before stopping once more.

"I can't stress it enough gentlemen, creating that buffer between the Krauts and the beachheads are the most important thing we need to make sure happens, or it's game over," James said while looking around at everyone.

When he didn't see any more hands raise for questions, he concludes the briefing."We got an hour's time frame before the 82nd Airborne comes in. That's our marker indicating that mission Boston is underway, it also means that the landing forces are leaving to cross the channel... Now then, secure and hold what you can once your boots hit the ground until further orders." James says in conclusion to the briefing.

"10 minutes to brief your companies and prepare for the drop, dismissed!" James thick, New Yorker accent sounds.Both James and his younger brother Jack grew up in the boroughs of the Brooklyn district in New York City. The O'Brian's originated from Ireland and in 1798.

When England's cruel red made the Shamrock by law forbidden in Irish grounds, their ancestors fled Ireland to escape, and by boat, they came over when they were hanging men and women for the wearing of the green.