Out of the Blue (Ch. 10)

Out of the Blue

Chapter 10

(c) stillhere

***************************************************

Keegan's house ended up being the local tavern. I was confused at first, but then laughed a little, or, well, as much as I could. We took a table in the corner of the pub. The onlookers seemed taken aback when Kess took a seat next to me, which I found puzzling. Did mortals have certain seating arrangement they all abided by? I dismissed that because neither Keegan nor Lana seemed particularly concerned with her seating choice. I focused back on the problems I was presently facing.

Firstly, I refused Keegan's proposal, and now he seems to hate me; Lovely.

Secondly, his sister is here and has no inkling that we are not on the best terms.

Thirdly, I heard voices of three powerful goddesses.

Fourthly, Kess and possibly Odelet know something I do not, and it will happen in three night’s time.

Also in three night’s time, I will have to murder Keegan, and the men he works with.

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Fingers snapped in front of my eyes. "Nereida!" Kess says.

"...Yes?" I say meekly.

Kess glares at me warningly, saying with her eyes that I had better act normally or else.

"Keegan, tell me, why do you fancy this girl? She seems very childish, lackadaisical, and cannot even participate in a typical conversation!" I hear Lana whisper to Keegan.

My hands begin to shake violently. I feel my face tense, and every muscle in my body coil. Already, I can see the plot materializing in my mind. I can spring across the table, tear her throat open, and then croon so all the men in the tavern can forget what they have seen. Not even remember we were here. Only recall Keegan welding a knife then attack the poor, defenseless young lady he was dining with.

Just as I am about to carry out this plan, Kessie grabs me roughly and holds my forearm so securely that there will surely be marks after she removes her hands.

Lana doesn't seem surprised when Kessie grabbed my arm; in fact, she seemed almost smug. Like she wanted me to try and kill her. That's when something clicked. My earlier suspicions of her being something other than human were right. She knew somehow I wasn't exactly human either. I flicked my gaze over to Keegan as I considered that he might be supernatural. He hadn't noticed how Kessie had grabbed my forearm or how my face had contorted into a monster's. He was too busy looking at a scantily clothed tavern girl. I felt my throat constrict and heart beat painfully at the thought of him already inspecting other women. Could he really forget me that fast? As if feeling my gaze he turned to me. His eyes widened when he realized what I had caught him doing. His lips parted as if to say something but I turned my head to face Kessie. Crying would not solve anything.

I knew I also would not help myself by hurting Lana.

I have to do this the human way.

I lean over to Kessie, and whisper meanly, "Kessie, is it just me, or is Keegan's sister a trollop? Did she not say she was married? Why does she flounce her chest about if she does not have anything and is unavailable?"

Kess giggled nastily (for the first time since the fall of the Roman Empire!)

"We all delude ourselves about something. I reckon she believes that she is a clever minx. Quite the contrary! How much do you think her father had to pay the groom for her hand?!" She murmured back, with much malice.