Out of the Blue (Ch. 5)

Out of the Blue

Chapter 5

©stillhere

'The first humans were created with four arms, legs, and eyes, & two noses and mouths. Afraid of their power, Zeus split them in half, leaving them to find the other half of themselves. These people are called soul mates...'

~Greek Myth

*************************************************************

'Deep breaths, Nereida, deep breaths, we do not need a panic attack!' I chanted to myself trying to slow my sporadic breathing. I opened my previously closed eyes, and fought the urge to shut them again when I saw the tiny bridge. Keegan's face drifted into my head and I sighed, I am going to have to do this. I took one-step from the rock barrier, and my stomach twisted with knots. One more steadying breath, and another step. The wind was gentle enough, toying with the loose strands of my hair, but I knew it could all change. The fairies and I - well all sirens - did not get along. Witches were somewhat bearable, but fairies...no we were too different. I am surprised I have not been blown off the small ridge by now, Nemesis must be absent today, and I hope it stays that way! Putting one foot in front of the other, I made it to land in ten minutes or so.

 I looked back and jumped in shock, the bridge was gone! Kessie probably used her magic to program the overpass to disappear when I fully crossed it, so I could not back out of my, um, meeting with a, uh, friend.

I walked in the direction of the dock, which was only a half mile away. My legs felt like jelly, and I was very surprised I made it to the wharf without collapsing. I waited where I had first met him face to face. I looked up at the sun, which was nearly in the center of the sky, and guessed it was almost midday. Time ticked by, and I was just about to resign, when I heard the brogue, I did not know I was waiting for.

"Nereida!" Keegan called from my left.

I turned to see him rushing towards me. He still had his sailor clothes on, and he was slightly red from work. A large smile appeared on my face, without my consent. When he neared, a grin mirrored my own.

"Hello." I said shyly.

We both stood there, beaming at one another, for quite some time, before Keegan took my arm and led me towards the beach. He had a small basket with food, not far away from the water. I eyed the water warily. Ten feet was just too close for my liking.

"Keegan...can we move a little bit?" I asked

"Of course, to where?" He answered

"Just nearer to the grass."

He nodded, but did not say anything. Once we were seated and starting to eat the food he brought, (and probably made himself, I have to admit) we started to talk.             We talked for nearly two hours. The conversation was seemingly random, from my childhood to his, Greece, the New World, and more. Even Kessie and Odelet, whom I had known for centuries, did not know the things I had told Keegan. I thought you were supposed to be shy around the boy you fancied! In my case, however, it was almost exactly the opposite! I had not laughed so hard, in a very long time; and to think, I had only met him a few days ago! A Greek myth popped into my head about Zeus and soul mates, but I waved it away. Sirens do not deserve soul mates. No one should be stuck with someone who could at anytime kill him or her, and never fill guilt.

He must have noticed my smile dim for he asked,

"Nereida? Is something wrong?" He questioned worriedly.

I saw his caring face and nearly started to cry.

'Wow, moody much?' a though trickled through my head. It was foreign, not mine. I was scared and stifled a gasp. I certainly do not need another person seeing me as a crazy loon.