Chapter Twenty Nine

Caroline's POV

It feels like forever since I last saw Klaus. I've spoken with him over the past few days, but I havn't had the time to personally see him in person with all of my school work.

I look to the left of me; my phone buzzing. I check who it is, not surprised to see his name light up the screen. I clear my throat before answering.

"Hey."

"Caroline, it's nice to hear your voice again, love. I feel like we haven't talked in awhile. How are you?" Klaus's raspy voice sends chills down my spine.

To be perfectly honest, I might have been avoiding him these past few days. Ever since our date, I've felt weird... My liking for this thousand year old hybrid has grown- a lot.

"I'm fine, just been busy with school- the usual. How are you?" I quickly dodge. I feel awkward to tell my feelings to Klaus. He's a man of romance and yet a man of great power.

"Good, I've kind of been busy, actually. Rebekah is hosting this huge ball with Elijah tonight and I have to get some things ready- I don't suppose you would like to come?" he invites me.

I freeze. My eyes glance over to Elena. She is sat upon her bed with Damon, the two "studying", or as they say. I already saw them sneak in a few kisses when they thought I wasn't looking.

"Can't, studying tonight. I'm sorry," I wasn't studying though.

It's  just another excuse, and to be perfectly honest, I feel terrible. I can't love Klaus, can I? That sounds absolutely terrifying. I'm denying my own feelings for my boyfriend in spite of what other people will think. I'm letting other people affect my decisions, and it's driving me mad.

"No need to fret sweetheart, it's not a big deal. I just miss your touch, and your lips... I miss your body and the way you feel against my skin," he whispers, seductively. A deep shade of red blankets my face and I quickly look behind me to see if Damon or Elena were listening in on my conversation as they sometimes did. Luckily, they're too occupied with themselves.

Just to be careful, I scurry out of the large dorm room.

"Klaus," I hiss at his teasing. He knew he made me blush, I can just see the smirk and his dimples forming on his cheeks as he does so.

"Yes?" he replies as if clueless, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Damon and Elena were in the room. You can't say that stuff..." my embarrassment is clearly shown, even over the phone. His chuckle echoes through my eardrums. God I've missed his laugh. I can't deny it. I miss his touch too...

"Why are you so embarrassed to be public about our relationship, Caroline?" he chuckles. I know he's meaning it playfully, but I can't help and shy away from the question.

"Our relationship and sex life are two very different things," I feel the blush rise on my cheeks again. Damn it.

I shouldn't have to be worried about Damon or Elena or anyone in this world hearing about my sex life or relationship with Klaus- I want everyone to know we're together. Maybe not all the details of what we do together, but I shouldn't be scared. So why am I?

"When can I see you again?" finally, he moves away from the discussion which was evidently making me uncomfortable.

"I'm not sure, really. I miss you though," I sigh. That was true at least. I owe him the truth; I love him... I love Klaus Mikaelson.

"I miss you too," his tone changes. He seems...sad. Klaus was never sad. Did I make him sad?

"Okay, screw it. It's a Friday night. I'll be at the ball, tonight. What should I wear?" I need to tell him, and I will tonight. I have too.

"Are you sure? We can do it another time if you need to study Caroline."

"No, I'm sure. I want to see you."

"Okay then. Wear something formal. You're already beautiful enough though, I'm sure you'll look gorgeous either way," he mumbles the last part and I find myself smiling as I enter the room again.

"Will do. I'll see you tonight, then?"

"Yes, tonight shall be fun."

"Okay, goodbye," I end, awkwardly.

It pains me that I can not say "I love you" yet. It's like a piece of our conversation is missing, almost. It also scares me that tonight I will be expressing my very vulnerable self to Klaus, who hasn't seen the paranoid, nervous side to me yet.

"Goodbye, love," and with that, I begin rummaging through my closet for something to wear, the memories of the dress he once gave to me putting a smile on my face.