Chapter One

Please keep in mind this was my first book I ever wrote two years ago! My writing has since then improved! Check out the other books on my profile if this one doesn't suit you! Enjoy. :)

Caroline's POV

The cold wind blew on the back of my neck. Why did I choose to have my mother's funeral outside in November? I look to my left to see Stefan who has clearly been staring at me the whole time like I was some piece of glass about to break.

"I'm fine," I whisper in his ear, placing a hand on his lower knee. He looks at me with disbelief, but just nods.

"I know," Stefan sends me a small smile before returning his gaze towards Elena who had kindly offered to make a speech for my mom.

"Finally, thank you for everyone who came in honor of Liz, she would have been so grateful. Everyone may now come up and say their goodbyes to this wonderful woman," Elena finishes up, her eyes filled with tears as everyone stands up, making their way up to the casket before they bury my mother.

It's so weird how she went so fast. When I was younger, I never imagined my mother to be dead before I was. Of course being older, I know that wouldn't have been possible. I always imagined her supporting me when I got married and getting to see my kids and getting to watch them grow old together- but that could never happen.

I look over to see Damon hugging Elena and gently placing a kiss on her tear stained cheek. Stefan was talking to Jeremy and Bonnie and Matt, and I was all alone again. It's not that I want to be suffocated with hugs and condolences, but I don't want to be alone. I can't stay here anymore. I look at my group of friends before walking off back to my house.

_________________________________________

I hear a quiet knock at my door. I almost don't want to open it, but I know I have too. At first I am shocked to see Tyler, and then mad.

"I didn't expect to see you here since you weren't at the funeral," I tug at the cardigan I had changed into, trying not to let tears slip. Tyler sighs, nodding before letting himself in.

"I'm so sorry Caroline, I was helping to train this pack of werewolves and then I heard about your mom... I tried to get home as fast as I could but I guess I missed it judging by the fact that you're home..." Tyler shakes his head, pulling me in for a hug. I shake my head. I can't forgive him, and I can't do this. It's all too much to deal with, it's making me insane.

"Tyler, stop," I push him off of me lightly, leaving him with a confused face.

"You okay?" He asks, concerned. I nod.

"I don't think I can be with you anymore," I look down, not wanting to meet his eyes. I hear him take in a sharp breath.

"W-what?" He asks, shocked. I shake my head, kissing his lips one last time.

"I just need a break from all of this, just until I'm sure I'm actually okay. Right now with the loss of my mother and dealing with college and our relationship, I can't handle all of it. I just need a break- we need a break," I explain, sadly. He stares into my eyes, processing everything. This wasn't easy for me to do.

"I'm going to go, Care," he tells me. For a minute think he's joking- I hope he's joking- before I realize he's serious as he opens the door and closes it behind him.

He just... left me.

The silence in the house overwhelms me. It is so empty without my mom or dad or anyone. I'm sick of crying and not being able to sleep- I'm sick of all of it. I just don't want to feel it anymore, any of it. I don't want the pain there. I just want it all to go away. I need it to be gone.

Before I know what I'm doing, I feel a rush of darkness overtake me before I fall on the floor.