Chapter Two

Caroline's POV

I would have once been annoyed to see a picture of my mom still up, but I don't mind now with my humanity-less self. It's weird not having to feel anything, yet comforting.

I hear a knock at my door, but when I open it, I don't see anyone there, only a small post card sitting on the ground.

Caroline Forbes

I open the letter. What's this for?

You are invited to a Mikaelson family ball hosted by Rebekah, Elijah, and Klaus Mikaelson

I mentally groan reading those words. Those are the last three people I want to see. Especially because I know Elena and her little pets who she calls her friends would be there.

I'm not mad at them... expect I am. I haven't talked to anyone but they all knew I had turned off my humanity because I sent a text telling them to not worry about me, and explaining the actions I had taken and why I needed to take them. I just need a year, a year alone, and a year to not feel anything.

The day of my mother's funeral was the day I became agitated by their decisions- they ignored me- the daughter who was suffering from her mom's death. Except now I don't feel anything, which is great.

I debate for minutes on whether or not I should actually show up, and finally decide that I should. I'll have to face my friends sooner or later, and it's better it's sooner.

I search through my closet, finally after hours figuring out I would wear a white mermaid styled gown with lace detail. I put my hair in a side bun and throw on some makeup and a necklace. When I am done, I put on some white heels and head out the door.

_________________________________________

I am not one bit nervous as I enter the mansion that Klaus and his siblings own. It is filled with beautifully dressed men and woman, some of them who I recognize.

I look over to see Elena, Damon, and Stefan's eyes all staring daggers at me. I smile and walk over to them, mentally punching them for their annoying habits of staring very noticeably.

"Stefan, Damon, Elena," I acknowledge my friends with a nod, the smile disappearing when I realize they aren't going to accept wthe 'new me'.

"Caroline, how are you? I haven't heard from you ever since your moms funeral..." Elena says, sounding worried. I arch an eyebrow at the brothers.

"Did you not get my text?" I smirk, crossing my arms realizing they never showed her the text in which I stated I had turned off my humanity. There they go again, making all of her decisions for her. Elena's features turn to confusion.

"What text?"

"How about we get you a drink?" Damon suggests casually, trying to guide her over to the waiter who was handing out glasses of champagne. I stop them.

"No, please. Let me explain- see I sent out a text saying I turned off my humanity because Tyler and I broke up and my mom died all in one day- crazy right? Anyways, I guess they didn't show you it. Wonder why?" I smirk, walking away as I hear Elena arguing with the two about their secret keeping.

"Caroline," I hear an all too familiar voice call. I am afraid to turn around when I hear him, but I do.

"Klaus," My frown suddenly tugs upwards as he walks over to me in a handsome black suit and white tie.

"You look stunning, love," He states, charmingly. My heart flutters as he compliments me.

"You aren't so bad yourself," I say with a wide smile. He looks confused as if he can tell something is off with my behavior. I look at him once more, before scanning the glass of champagne offered to the two of us by a waitress. I thankfully take it and take a sip.

"I'm surprised you came tonight with your mom and all... I'm truly sorry I couldn't make it to her funeral, Caroline, really," he frowns. I nod, shrugging. The thought of her doesn't make me want to cry anymore, and I'm extremely relieved.

"So I've heard by Tyler as well," I laugh mockingly, and take another gulp of champagne. He looks at me confused once more.

"Tyler didn't come to her funeral?" He asks, nosily. I shake my head.

"No, he was helping a pack of werewolves blah blah, I don't really care either way- we broke up," I inform him, as if it was nothing, looking at the crowd of people. It was nothing, really. I don't feel a thing for my ex with my humanity off, and yet I couldn't feel better.

"What? I'm so sorry," he apologizes as if he hadn't been waiting for months to head that information.

"No you're not. You hated that idiot," I roll my eyes, my inner demons coming out to play. Klaus looks astonished by my answer.

"What's going on Caroline? You're not like yourself," he states, as if he hasn't already come to the conclusion. I sigh.

"Oh stop playing stupid Mikaelson. I turned off my humanity. That's why I don't feel anything about my mom, Tyler, my friends... Or you," I shrug, simply.

"You turned your humanity off?" Klaus asks. I roll my eyes once again, putting down the empty glass of champagne.

"Yes Sherlock, and now I'm getting bored. So you can lecture me to turn it back on and make me leave this boring ass party- or you can join me for a dance. The decision is all yours," I raise my eyebrows. Klaus stares at me for a long while before taking my hand in his, sending shivers down my spine.

"Well then Ms. Forbes, will you do me the honor of dancing with me?" I smile widely at his choice.

"I will, gladly."