Chapter Sixteen

Caroline's POV

I dial Klaus's number once Elena has gone off to class, not wanting her to hear our conversation.

"Hello?" He picks up on the first ring. I blush at his voice. I still find myself nervous around him even though I shouldn't be.

"Hey," I whisper weakly.

"Caroline, hi," his voice jumps a bit with excitement. I try to ignore the feelings I have for him- he doesn't want us. There can't be an us.

"I was just calling to ask if you have a plan to kill the hunters yet?" I ask, sounding a bit impatient. He doesn't deserve my love, he already made it clear he doesn't want it. I shouldn't be nice to him in return.

"Elijah and I are working on it love, be patient," I can almost hear his smirk. I huff, a bit annoyed by his response.

"I was patient, and now I'm not. Just call me when you have something, okay?" I sigh, about to hang up.

"Wait Caroline, are you mad?" he asks, rushing his sentence.

"No, I have to go," I lie. I'm beyond mad.

"Elena told me about your nightmare," his voice drops. I roll my eyes.

"Just forget about it Klaus. I asked her not to tell you anything anyways-" I am interrupted by my fit of coughing for a few seconds before returning to the call.

"Are you okay?" he asks, worried. I sigh.

"Yes Klaus, I'm fine. I'm just taking the day off because I'm a little sick," I tell him truthfully, hoping he won't get too worked up over the situation.

"I'm worried about you, Caroline. I don't want you to be scared. You should come back to stay in my home, at least until we kill the hunters," he offers.

"I told you I needed a break from you," I remind him. He sighs.

"I know, but if it means you'll be terrified of simply sleeping then-"

"Klaus, Elena shouldn't have even told you about that nightmare in the first place. It's none of your business, okay? I have to go. Please, stop texting me. I need time to myself," I groan, hanging up before he can speak.

I sigh and place my phone on the nightstand turning it on silent. I need to do something rather than sit in this dorm all day, even if I'm sick.

I walk over to my bed and quickly make it, tidying up the room a bit before I head out.

I hear a knock coming from outside the hallway on... my door? Most people are in class so there should be no reason why anyone's showing up here.

"Who is it?" I ask, about scared due to my dream last night. It's put me on edge.

"Caroline, let me in," Klaus calls. My heart jumps, and I open the door.

"What the hell Klaus? How are you here? I was just talking to you!" My mind is full of questions as he stares me down.

"I was already on my way when we were on the phone. I needed to make sure you were alright," he frowns.

"You're absolutely insane. I told you I didn't want to see you and-" I am interrupted by yet another coughing fit, and a sudden pain in my head.

"You shouldn't be up," he sighs. I shake my head, attempting to close the door but he holds it open, his strength overpowering mine.

"You don't get to tell me what to do," I growl. He rolls his eyes.

"Will you stop being so stubborn for once and let me help you?"

"You've helped enough, Klaus! I just wanted some time by myself and you can't even let me have that!" I squeak, growing weaker due to the pain in my head and stomach.

"Caroline, I'm sorry..." he frowns. I roll my eyes.

"Whatever," I respond.

"I can't help myself when it comes to your safety. When Elena told me you had a nightmare, it took everything in me not to show up at your door right then and there. You have to understand, I don't want to make you feel weak and powerless because you aren't. You're one of the strongest people I know, Caroline. I admire that about you," he tells me.

"I don't really want to talk about this right now, okay?" I ask, changing the subject. He nods in understandingly, sighing.

"So you don't have a plan?" I cough, the silence overwhelming me.

"I never said we didn't. I said were working on one. In the meantime while Elijah and Rebekah are out hunting the two, I'm supposed to protect you two back here," he explains. Of course. The one time I want to ignore Klaus he just keeps on showing up.

"Do Stefan and Damon know?" He nods.

"Yes, I also informed Bonnie. I thought a witch would come in handy. I left Tyler out of it... I didn't think you'd want him apart of our little hunt," he explains, It was my turn to look at him. I hadn't talked to Tyler in awhile. My anger for him died down a lot, but we still weren't on the best terms.

I felt bad for Tyler if I'm being completely honest. I know what he said to me about my mother was cruel, but I couldn't blame him for not being totally fine with the two of us breaking up. Especially since the next day I was found dancing with his only enemy, Klaus. He's always gotten madder easier.

"I don't... Thank you," I nod. I shouldn't be putting pressure on him, he didn't deserve it. No matter how much of an asshole he was when my humanity was off, I still had a part of me which cared for Tyler.

"No problem love," he answers.

After a moment of silence, I hear my phone ring and make my way over to it. I expect Klaus to barge into the room before I realize he still hasn't been invited in.

I read the caller ID. Tyler. Speak of the devil...

"Who is it?" Klaus asks. I decide to ignore it. I can call him back later when Klaus wasn't standing two feet away, perfectly capable of hearing whatever he wanted to of our conversation. I couldn't help but wonder what Tyler did want though.

"No one," I lie and hide it behind a fake smile.

"You sure about that?" he questions, raising his eyebrows. I roll my eyes, annoyed with him pressing he situation.

"Yes, it was unknown. Probably some scam," I shrug. He nods, still unsure but thankfully lets it go.

"As much as I would like to protect you as it is my part in the plan, I don't think I can do much standing outside this door the whole night," he smiles, knowingly. For once, I smile back, not as mad at him anymore.

"Are you sure? I think it'd be pretty funny to watch you stand outside all night," I tease, and he rolls his eyes, smirking.

"Caroline," he raises his eyebrows, waiting. I laugh.

"Klaus, you can come in."