VI. Brooms That Speak In Code

LEXA

I hadn't even made it out of the hallway when the princess came running after us.

She screamed, "Wait! I have something for you all!"

I eventually stopped walking and turned to face her. She ran towards us, holding what looked like a lump of clay.

Once she reached us, she smiled. "I just want to apologize for what happened in there. My father tends to be rude. Anyways, I forgot to give you this," she handed me the lump of clay, "it's called Lute. Legend says, it'll open a passageway. I don't know which passageway, but I just wanted you to have it. As a thank you for saving me. I know my father gave you a bridge, but it's only a bridge."

I scanned the Lute and looked back up at Sarah. "And this is literally just a lump of clay."

Sarah frowned, but her smile quickly returned. "An important lump of clay!"

"Sarah, here's a piece of advice, don't act happy when you're not. It'll only tear you apart." I replied, shoving the Lute under my arm.

"Excuse me?" She asked, staring me in the eyes. Her eyes felt like daggers, ripping into me. She then looked me up and down.

"Don't question me." I answered.

Dax, and Elric just kind of stared at me and Sarah. I could tell they wanted to say something, but if they did, they might get their necks snapped.

"You can't talk to me like that. You actually can't talk to anyone like that. I mean, I know you saved me and all, but that doesn't mean you can be rude and try to toss me overboard. I don't owe you anything." Sarah growled, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I never said you owed me anything, princess." I shot back.

Sarah looked disgusted. Her long wavy black hair fell over her shoulders and she heaved a sigh. Her eyes looked misty now.

I could tell she was now lost in thought.

Without a word, she just turned and walked away. While walking, she stepped out of her shoes, leaving her barefoot.

Then she was gone.

"I'm glad she's gone." I muttered.

Elric stared at me. He then scowled.

"Get that look off your face, Elric. I know you're sick of her too." I said simply.

"No, Lexa." He said, looking like he was trying to hold back a scream. "I'm sick of you."

He turned and started to walk away. Dax followed.

"You guys!" I yelled after them. They walked faster. So I started running.

I ran after them through the halls. We totally had the perfect love-hate relationship. I mean, everyone would be jealous of how great it was. Right?

Maybe not.

I eventually lost track of them so I began to walk. My shoes felt to small and my clothes felt too tight. And with every step I took, my stomach dropped. These guys were supposed to be my partners in crime. My best friends. But they obviously didn't want to be that way with me, because one just insulted me and then they all ran off.

And I couldn't find them.

The halls seemed endless. You could go for hours through this place and you probably couldn't find an exit. It was like a maze. Everyone thought it would be fun going in, but then they couldn't find their way out. It was the perfect horror film.