Part Two: Hunter

I was only twelve when I met Hunter. He was the only other kid my age in my ward. We were always put together during group activities in the hospital. The nurses used to joke about us marrying each other. We used to gag at the idea. Even though I thought Hunter was a ratty boy, he was my rock. 

One night, I remember sneaking over to his room only three away from mine. He was still up watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on tv. He scooted over when he saw me and patted his bed. I crawled next to him and we watched cartoons until we both fell asleep. The next morning, we were woken up by one of the nurses. She just shook her head at us with a smile on her face and told me to hurry back to my room before my parents noticed. Hunter and I were always together for the next ten months.

I remember the day when I found out that Hunter had died. It still sits on me like a huge boulder. I ran into his room when the nurse told me the news. His older brother was sitting on his bed crying into Hunter's TMNT pillow.

"Cameron.. Where's Hunter?" I asked him. I knew where Hunter was, but I didn't want to believe it. Cameron just looked at me and shook his head. He climbed off of the bed and wrapped his arms around me. I couldn't breathe under the pressure of realization. 

"He's. He's. No. He's not d-dead." I whispered as I felt the tears roll down my face. How can you lose someone who meant the world to you in such little time? He didn't even tell me he was getting worse. He kept a happy face and let me believe that he was getting better. 

"It's okay, Na. It's okay." Cameron cried. I had never seen a sixteen year old boy cry until then. I always thought that boys didn't cry. That's what Hunter told me when I asked him why he never cried when the pain got bad. 

"I. Can't. Breathe." I gasped as I pushed Cameron away. I could feel the tears spilling out of my eyes as I fell on my knees. I remember hearing Cameron screaming for help, but I wasn't aware of anything anymore. I was sobbing so hard to the point of hyperventilation.

"Naomi, baby, calm down. Breathe." I heard a nurse say to me as she rubbed my back. I couldn't breathe though. I felt like the life was being sucked out of me. It took the nurses and hour to calm me down.

I stayed in bed for a week and didn't talk to anyone. The nurses would ask me to come do an activity with them, but I told them I wasn't going unless Hunter was. One of my nurses, Daniella, finally got me out of bed though. 

"What would Hunter say if he saw you acting like this?" She tsked as she threw open my curtains. I pulled my blanket over my head and groaned. This didn't stop her though, "I know what he would say. He would say, 'Girls overreact to the stupidest things. Just because I died doesn't mean you can act like you died, too. Gosh, Na.'" 

"That is something he would say." I laughed at her impression of Hunter. She pulled the covers off of me and lightly slapped my leg.

"Up! We are celebrating Amber's birthday today. She would be upset if she saw that you weren't there." I obliged and got out of my bed. Daniella helped me stand up and get ready. I enjoyed myself for the first time since Hunter died that day.

Every once in a while, I'll feel a tap on my shoulder and when I turn around, no one is there. Then I will hear the soft sound of Hunter's laugh and him saying, "Made you look."