(6)Checkamate

"CHECKMATE! SUCK IT MEL!"

"YOU-"

"Are the best person ever? Yes, I know"

"Ugh, whatever."

We sat on the floor at my coffee table playing chess for the third time that afternoon because I was determined to beat Nick.

I laughed at the goofy grin Nick had on his face as he admired the chess board with his winning pieces. I decided to break his moment of happiness and  threw a pillow at his face only to be awed at the fact that he caught it right before it hit his face without even looking up.

"How did you-"

"I'm just that cool I guess."

I smirked and threw another one, catching Nick off guard long and the pillow smacked him right in the face.

I erupted in laughter at the surprised look on his face. He looked at me and smirked evilly right before he hit me with the same pillow causing me to fall over on the ground. He bent over me and tickled my sides, one of my biggest weaknesses. I laughed so hard tears were flowing down my face.

I was still laughing when I realized Nick had stopped and was now just planking over me looking at my face with a childish smirk on his face.

My eyes met his and we stayed in the moment that felt like an eternity.

"I wish you would smile more, Mel. You are absolutely stunning when you are genuinely happy."

It finally occurred to me that I had truly been happy in those last few moments. I hadn't thought of how crappy my life had become.

Nick moved back as I sat up from my position on the ground and I sat there lost in thought.

How could I let myself forget all the bad I had done. Did I deserve those few minutes of pure joy? I didn't think I did.

"Are you okay?" Nick's comment pulled me out of my head.

"Yeah. I'm fine"

"No, you're not"

"Then why'd you ask"

"Because I felt like I had to ask"

I felt like I had been run over by a train as I had a horrifying flashback:

"Why do you two hate each other so much?" I ask as I jump on his back

"I already told you. He started talking bad about you and I defended you."

"There has to be more than that"

Taylor was quiet.

"There is, but that would be his job to tell you. Let's just say it ended up with a few bloody noses and broken bones"

"Who was hurt"

"Wasn't me"

I nod

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine" I forced myself to look at the water that's becoming colder the farther we go.

"No you're not"

"Then why'd you ask?"

"Because I felt like I had to ask"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick saw the pain in my face as I looked at him because he walked over and sat beside me holding me as I cried.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heyyyyy guys! so sorry this is so short but wanted to get something out there so y'all don't completely loose faith in us! hope this gives you as many feels as it gave me writing it ;) -P