Chapter 23

"Hey, Hey, Hey!" Zach exclaimed, wrapping his arms around my neck. "How's my sis doing?"

"I'm alright," I stiffened up and set my luggage next to my foot. "Thanks to your wonderful plans, I had to actually go to the doctors and be relieved of this horrible flu." Zach smiled and took my bag.

"Nothing you're not used to. Remember that time in second grade when you-"

"Can you not?" He nodded with a goofy smile and took my bags. After walking up and down the parking garage (because Zach forgot where he parked his car of course), we reached the final destination.

"Here are the keys," Zach tossed them to me. "Start the car and put the heat on, you look cold." I winced when the keys hit my hands, digging into my skin. I unlocked the car and it responded with a 'beep'. Zach threw the luggage in the back trunk. I closed the door and settled into the gray leather chair. I waited until he got into the car, which he didn't. I looked around then at my window, and his face was smushed against it. I put a hand over my heart, from being so surprised. I smirked then pounded my hand on the window, right at his now.

"Ow!" I could hear him outside the car. Good job Emma. He ran to the other side and slipped in the car. "What was that for?"

"For scaring me you dungus!" He rolled his eyes at my nickname for him.

"It's Zach."

"No, I'm pretty sure you look more like a dungus."

                                                         *                      *                     *

"Emma!" Patrick Sharp's voice rang throughout the hallway, and his arms enveloped me in a hug. "Jonny's been treating you nice?" I nodded and smiled as I entered his apartment. I saw his wife and his daughter on the couch, and a group of men in suits in a circle in the kitchen. Happy Birthday signs were strung around, as well as other glittery and colorful decorations.

"Hey you all! Guess who's here?"

"Please tell me the pizza is here!" I heard a voice call out and I smiled, because I was certainly not pizza.

"Emma!!" Soon I was in a huge hug, suffocating from all the cologne and large arms squeezing me.

"Guys...guys!" I gasped out. "Can't. Breathe." They laughed and let go of me. I was practically a sister to all of them, and brothers they were to me.

"When's your brother coming over?" Patrick asked me, handing a cold Coke to me out of the fridge.

"He was in the shower when I left, so who knows?" I shrugged my arms and Patrick nodded. Hopefully Zach would come sooner than I thought. I opened the Coke can and it made the authentic 'sizzle' sound. I took a sip and swallowed, feeling the sparkling drink tingling on my throat.

"Okay guys! I just got a text from Jonathan and he says he's gonna be over in 20! That means we have to get in our spots soon! Does everyone know where they are supposed to be?!" Patrick yelled over the music. Some 'Yeah's' and 'Sure's' echoed through the crowd. My fingers tightly gripped the Coke can. There was no way I was ready to talk let alone see him. A sudden pain in my abdomen awoke me from  my thoughts.

"Hey Patrick, where's the bathroom?"

"Hallway after the kitchen. There should be a door there."  I nodded and went through the kitchen and found the bathroom. I locked the door behind me and sat on the floor. I held my stomach; It hurt so bad, I didn't know if I was sick or what. I held the toilet rim and threw up. Evidently I was sick. I sat back down on the floor and leaned my head against the wall. I closed my eyes and darkness overcame me.

                                        *                                          *                                     *

(Third person P.O.V.)

Jonathan had just texted Patrick that he was on his way. Patrick gathered everyone together, but there seemed to be one who was missing.

"Where's Emma?!" Patrick said looking around. "I thought she got out of the bathroom like ten minutes ago.."

"Should I check on her?" Patrick's wife, Abby asked. She had a look of concern on her face as well. He nodded and Abby went off to check on her. This caused a stir amongst everyone. That's all Patrick needed right before his friend was coming over for a surprise.

"All right everyone, she's going to be okay. Just get into your spots!" Everyone huddled into their spots. Behind the couch, underneath the table. The lights were turned off. For a couple of seconds, it was pure silence until Abby's voice of panic whispered:

"Patrick, she's passed out. And she's not waking up."

                                                               ~A few hours later~

Of course, no one expected to be spending their sunny Saturday afternoon in the spring at the E.R. And no one expected to be at the E.R. because of Emma.

"So what happened?" Andrew asked, opening a Nature Valley granola bar. Patrick shrugged and Zach was involved in his phone. Probably explaining what happened to Emma to their family.

Just imagine, ten to fifteen guys, most all over six foot, in suits, pacing around a hospital's small but welcoming food court. Kind of hard to, right?

The other Patrick, with the last name of Kane, was playing a game of cards with Corey and Brandon Saad. Evidently Brandon was winning.

The other guys were at home, waiting for their round to go to the hospital to see if there were any more news on Emma. Somehow they couldn't just wait for the morning, they'd have to stay up all night and early morning. They were lucky though, they didn't have a game until Tuesday.

Jonathan entered the food court and gave a thumbs-up. Which meant something was good.