29: Kina's Story (part 2)

***Kina's POV***

My nine year old self ran out the door. I quickly looked both ways before closing the door behind me. Making sure that daddy hadn't come back early or something. But he just left. And will probably be back in about 8 hours. So I will have time to go outside.

It's not like I'm running away or anything. I truly do love daddy. But I just want to go outside for a bit. Feel the fresh air. Maybe make some friends.

I ran down the empty street. And as I did, I had just realized,

I'm out.

After a whole year, I'm outside again.

It felt great. I continued to run with a smile on my face. Until, I reached a park.

I stopped abruptly, to get a better look.

The park wasn't that big but there were many kids there. There were 2 swings that were already occupied, a small slide where a mother and young child was, And a few monkey bars. Kids were running around playing games and in sandboxes. It was amazing. I couldn't remember the last time I saw so many people.

My eyes trailed back to the 2 kids who were on the swings. A boy and a girl with brown hair and brown eyes. They looked like brother and sister, and close to my age. They were laughing and it looked like they were having a competition. Maybe who can get higher in the air on the swing?

They both then jumped off and continued to laugh with joy.

This was my chance. I straightened my stance, and made my way to them. When I stood in front of them, they still hadn't noticed me. So then I said,

"Umm excuse me?"

They stopped talking and glanced at me. Then I smiled at them and said,

"Hi I'm Kina! What are your names?"

They didn't reply though. They continued to stare at me. And they both exchanged glances. Then their eyebrows furrowed at me.

"Umm" I didn't know what to do now... They weren't talking and it didn't seem like they were going to.

But finally the girl spoke.

"Uhh... Why are you talking to us?"

"Huh?" I slightly tilted my head to the side, then said, "well I'm just trying to make some friends. You guys seem nice..."

"How old are you?" The boy asked.

"Umm... Nine?"

"Nine?!" Really?!" He exclaimed, "you look so old!"

I frowned at this. "How?... We're... The same height and stuff..."

"Look at your hair! It's white! Only old people have white hair!"

"That's true, nii-chan!" The girl laughed,

Then they both started to laugh. "You sure you aren't fifty? Hahaha!"

My lip started to quiver a bit. This isn't how I wanted this day to be... I finally wanted to make friends. I didn't want to be alone anymore. Yet... Do I really look that unnatural?

I could feel tears forming at the corners of my eyes as the two siblings started to walk away... Still laughing. I just stayed there. Standing. My fists clenched. My vision was getting blurry. By body was shaking.

I shouldn't have come out here. Daddy said it would only be dangerous. I didn't know I'd also be treated like this... But...

It was only two people. Maybe they're the only ones who think that way?