Epilogue

Epilogue

                Who could I possibly choose to replace Hailcloud? Perhaps one of the senior warriors, like Yellowfire, Falconflight, or Eaglefeather…

                Salmonstar was sitting in the center of the camp beside Hailcloud’s lifeless body as the sun was setting on the horizon. She saw Leafwhisker talking to Rainpool and rose to her feet. “Hi, Leafwhisker,” she meowed before giving a brief nod to Rainpool. “I have no idea who to choose for deputy. Icewhisker doesn’t want to be deputy so he’s not an option to replace his brother. Could you try to ask StarClan for me? Please?”

                Leafwhisker hesitated. “Yes, but after that, if StarClan doesn’t answer, you’ll have to make a quick choice. I suggest you have a cat in mind until I return,” he replied before padding into his den.

                It was nearly moonhigh when Leafwhisker returned. If he hasn’t heard anything, I’ll choose Falconflight. “Did they send you a message?” Salmonstar asked nervously.

                Leafwhisker nodded quickly. “I saw a tawny-colored cat inside of a blazing fire,” he answered.

                “What is that supposed to mean? There are no tawny-colored cats in RiverClan so…” she paused as she finally understood what StarClan were trying to say. “Tawnyflame? No way! Her apprentice, Sunblaze, only just became a warrior! And she’s so young!”

                “You asked me to speak with StarClan. I am only sharing with you what they shared with me,” Leafwhisker responded.

                I suppose I can’t ignore my ancestors, although I’m doubtful that picking Tawnyflame is the best choice. Also, I must announce that I am supposedly having Icewhisker’s kits…but I don’t want to lie to him, especially not in front of the whole Clan. But it must be done because it was Hailcloud’s last wish and I promised him I would. I know he’s watching and refuse to disappoint him.

                Salmonstar climbed onto the RiverTree. She wasn’t used to this view of camp yet. She could see everything, and instantly noticed that at least half of the Clan were already waiting for her decision. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the RiverTree for a Clan meeting!” she yowled.

                “I say these words before StarClan and the spirit of Hailcloud, that they may hear and approve of my choice. Tawnyflame will be the new deputy of RiverClan!” Salmonstar declared.

                All heads turned to the flame-colored she-cat, who appeared to be in shock. “Thank you, although I have no idea why I was chosen,” she managed after a long silence.

                A few cats hesitantly began to chant her name and soon the whole Clan joined in. “Tawnyflame! Tawnyflame!”

                “Also, I have more news to announce. I am expecting Icewhisker’s kits sometime soon, and I assure you that this is as much of a surprise for him as it was for you,” she meowed.

                Icewhisker looked so pleased, that it was almost worth deceiving her whole Clan…

                I hope you’re happy, Hailcloud, if you even care anymore now that you’re with StarClan…

***

                Two she-cats and a tom. That’s how many kits she had. Three beautiful, wonderful kits. Icewhisker entered the den. “The silver she-cat is adorable! How about we name her Bright…” he began.

                “No!” Salmonstar snarled. “Her name will be Minnowkit!”

                Icewhisker flinched backwards. “Okay, sorry!” he muttered. “Well then, can we name that dark gray tom Pebblekit?”

                “Sure,” she sighed, reluctant to let a cat who wasn’t their father name any of her kits. “Can we name the reddish-brown she-cat Willowkit?”

                “Okay, I don’t mind that name,” Icewhisker responded cheerfully. “They’re almost as beautiful as you! I’m so glad that I can be the father of such wonderful kits that belong to a she-cat that’s as gorgeous and perfect as you!”

                If only you knew the truth…

A/N: I was going to have a Chapter 30 before the epilogue but it was too short :) I hope you enjoyed this book and will enjoy the next one just as much! The allegiances, book cover, and author's note will be posted with the next 15 minutes. Please comment and if you're interested, check out my Shadestar Super Edition once it's posted! :D Thanks x infinity for reading, you all are awesome!