Chapter 4

Chapter 4

                “Okay, here’s how you play. You hit the ball of moss back and forth and try not to let it hit the ground,” Icekit explained.

                The white-furred kit gently batted the ball of moss to her and she knocked it back. He caught it in his mouth. “Good!” he exclaimed. “The way Hailkit and I play is if you miss a good shot, then you’re eliminated. Last cat still in wins.”

                “What happens if it’s a bad shot?” Salmonkit asked.

                “Then no one is out,” Icekit answered. “Ready? Let’s start!”

                Icekit looked at Salmonkit but hit it to Hailkit. But Hailkit wasn’t caught off guard. He knocked it towards Foxkit, who reached up to hit it back and fell over. The ball landed on the ground as Hailkit laughed. “Foxkit, who’s so bad that she couldn’t catch greencough, is out, just like that!” Hailkit chuckled.

                Icekit grabbed the wad of moss and tossed it in the air. He leaned back and sent it sailing towards Hailkit. Hailkit hit it hard towards Salmonkit, who could tell instantly that it was going way over her head. But Hailkit will probably cheat and say it was a good shot and I should’ve gotten it…

                She took a massive leap into the air and felt it touch the top of her paw. It went soaring towards Hailkit, who clearly had been expecting her to miss. He didn’t raise a forepaw on time and the moss-ball soared onto the ground in front of him. Salmonkit expected him to complain or accuse her of cheating, but he just gave her a surprised look and joined Foxkit.

                Icekit and Salmonkit hit the ball back and forth for a while, neither one of them being able to score. Finally, she reared back and hit it as hard as she could. Icekit jumped, and but he missed the ball by just a little bit. I actually won! I actually won! I don’t believe it…

***

                Two moons passed. Salmonkit was now eating fresh-kill and she enjoyed the strong, watery flavor of fish more than the sweet and rich flavor of milk. A half-moon ago, Frostcloud’s kits, Marshkit and Flowerkit, were born.

                Hailkit had been treating Salmonkit with more respect since her victory in her first moss-ball game and often invited her to play with them. Majority of the time though, Foxkit wasn’t included in that invitation. She’d usually accept, but occasionally, she’d decline and go swimming in the Beginner’s Pool with Foxkit.

                Today was one of the days when Hailkit marched over to her nest as soon as Salmonkit was awake. But instead of asking her to play moss-ball, he whispered quietly, “Meet me in the warriors den. No one is in there right now.”

                “Why?” Salmonkit asked.

                “Just do it!” he hissed before soundlessly exiting the den.

                Salmonkit’s curiosity got the best of her. She crept out of the den, careful not to wake Foxkit, Sandfur, or Frostcloud’s kits. She slipped into the warriors den and was surprised to see how big it was. It was at least five times the size of the nursery with lots of mossy nests, some unused. The stone floor was cold to the touch, and the roof of the den above appeared jagged and uneven.

                Hailkit stood at the center of den. “See? I was right. Nobody is in here,” he purred.

                “Why did you want me to come here?” Salmonkit growled, getting straight to the point.

                “You may win quite often in moss-ball, but I bet you can’t beat me in a fight,” Hailkit replied.

                Play-fighting? Sandfur told me that was her favorite game as a kit. I guess it couldn’t hurt.

                “Sure,” Salmonkit accepted the challenge.

                “No, Salmonkit, I mean a real fight. Claws unsheathed. No moves off-limit except the death blow,” Hailkit meowed seriously.

                I can’t back down now. He’ll think I’m scared and he won’t let me play with him again.

                She lifted her head. “I’m not going to quit just because we’re actually going to fight like warriors. And I’m going to beat you!” she declared.

                Hailkit unsheathed his claws and Salmonkit nervously did the same. He dashed towards her but Salmonkit stood her ground. Dodging is for cowards…

                She was shocked as he raked his claws down her cheek and she felt a stinging sensation. She yelped and rolled out of the way before he could strike again. He swiped his claws across her nose, which hurt even worse than the first wound. Salmonkit couldn’t help but screech in pain. “Give up yet?” Hailkit meowed, casually licking the blood off of his claws.

                “Never!” she snarled.

                Salmonkit raced towards him, nearly slipping on the smooth stone floor. She turned as he sidestepped and crashed into him. He staggered but stayed on his feet. She seized the opportunity and leapt onto his back, sinking her claws in to avoid falling off.

                Hailkit rolled to try and flatten her beneath him, but Salmonkit quickly jumped off. She placed a paw on his chest before he could roll back onto his belly and climb back to his feet. He squirmed desperately beneath her paws, trying to escape. Now it’s his turn to feel pain! And I won’t stop until he gives up!

                Salmonkit raked her claws across Hailkit’s stomach a few times, and he screamed. “Give up?” she asked.

                “Of course not!” he hissed.

                Hailkit heaved himself upwards but Salmonkit clung on. She continued raking her claws across his soft belly. He howled in agony, but refused to admit defeat. His struggles became weaker and weaker. “Stop,” he coughed finally.

                Hailkit tried to rise to his paws, but his legs buckled underneath him and he collapsed. Salmonkit was horrified. Did I hurt him that bad? I swear to StarClan, I didn’t mean to!

                “Try to stand up again, Hailkit, please,” she begged.

                He groaned and managed to stand. He nearly lost his balance and fell over, but Salmonkit came over to his right side, supporting his weight. “Lean on me,” she panted.

                Hailkit was barely able to limp out of the den even with Salmonkit’s help. His dark brown fur was stained with blood and was unkempt. “Hailkit! Hailkit!” Bluesplash was screeching desperately.

                “Over here!” Salmonkit yelled for him.

                Bluesplash instantly rushed over. “What happened?” she wailed. “You look like you were fighting a ShadowClan warrior!”

                “I…” Hailkit started to explain.

                “And you’ve got a few nasty wounds on your face too!” Bluesplash noticed, glancing at Salmonkit. “Both of you are going to see Dawnshine right now!”

A/N: Salmonkit almost killed Hailkit, but Hailkit was asking for it, kind of. What do you think? :D Please comment and for the billionth time, but I really mean it, I hope you enjoyed!