Chapter 28

Chapter 28

                Rain poured from the sky. It was very close to moonhigh when Troutstar leapt onto the RiverTree and summoned the Clan. Salmonstorm came with Coldsnow at her side, waiting expectantly to hear the new deputy. “Mosspool has been her deputy since I was a kit,” Coldsnow commented.

                Salmonstorm nodded. “I wonder who will replace him,” she meowed.

                “Perhaps Rosethorn, Reedsplash or one of the other senior warriors,” Coldsnow suggested.

                “We all mourn the loss of Mosspool…” Troutstar began.

                “Not all of us,” Salmonstorm muttered and Coldsnow was barely able to stifle a laugh.

                “He was a brave warrior who died a noble death defending our territory from ShadowClan,” the RiverClan leader continued. “But it is now quickly approaching moonhigh and according to the traditions of our ancestors, I must make the difficult decision of appointing a new deputy.”

                At that moment, a beam of moonlight pierced through the clouds above and briefly illuminated the camp. At the middle of the island, Mosspool’s unmoving body laid on the grass.  His black fur shone a dark gray and he looked like he was just sleeping, other than the fact that he wasn’t breathing.

                “I say these words before StarClan and the spirit of Mosspool, that they may hear and approve of my choice,” Troutstar sighed.

                The flame-colored she-cat took a shaky breath. Her eyes scanned the crowd and they stopped on Salmonstorm. “The new deputy of RiverClan will be Salmonstorm.”

                Salmonstorm was shocked and didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t expecting this at all! Why did she choose me?

                “T-thank you, Troutstar,” she stammered at last. “I promise to try to my best.”

***

                Salmonstorm had been deputy for six moons. Coldsnow and Marshcloud had kits who had just become apprentices; Sunpaw and Ripplepaw. “Why hello, my beautiful deputy,” Icewhisker purred as he casually walked up to her.

                “Hey,” she sighed.

                “I noticed you’ve been spending a lot of time with Hailcloud lately,” he meowed, a hint of sadness in his voice.

                “So?” she hissed, instantly annoyed.

                “I think maybe you should get to know me a little better,” he responded. “Want to go hunting? I bet you’ll catch more fish than me.”

                Why not? Just because I go hunting with Icewhisker doesn’t mean I don’t love Hailcloud.

                “Sure,” she answered.

                Over the next half-moon, Icewhisker asked her to go hunting almost as often as Hailcloud. She found that she was constantly wishing it was Hailcloud beside her instead of her former mentor…

                One day, when Icewhisker and Salmonstorm returned from hunting, they found the majority of the Clan gathered around a body in the center of camp.

                Salmonstorm rushed over. “Troutstar!” she wailed.

***

                Won’t Icewhisker get offended if I choose Hailcloud as my deputy? No, I remember him saying he wouldn’t want to be a deputy like me and that he wanted to be a regular warrior because he didn’t want so many responsibilities…

                Oh, great StarClan, I can’t believe I’m leader!

                Salmonstorm walked out of the leader’s den, which felt so empty and still contained Troutstar’s scent. She gathered the Clan and made the announcement. “I say these words before StarClan and the spirit of Troutstar, that they may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of RiverClan will be Hailcloud.”

A/N: I'm so happy! Salmonstorm is finally leader! There should only be 1-3 more chapters and an epilogue and then we're on to the story of Shadestar's life...because sadly, Salmonstar dies shortly after she becomes leader as you read in the prologue :( Anyhow, hope you enjoyed and are as excited for Shadestar's Agony as I am!

Warriors: Salmonstar's Fateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें