Chapter 10

Chapter 10

                Salmonkit remembered what Dawnshine had done to try to save Foxkit. She placed her paws on Rain’s chest and pushed down hard. Please StarClan, let this work…

                A shudder suddenly passed through Rain’s body and she coughed up a mouthful of water. Salmonkit breathed a sigh of relief.

                The former kittypet’s eyes opened. “Salmonkit, are you…” Rain began to speak weakly.

                “I’m here,” Salmonkit meowed. “Are you okay?”

                Rain rose to her paws and nodded. “Thanks to you,” she purred. “You were so brave.”

                “No, thanks to Snowflake. She pulled both of us out,” Salmonkit told her.

                “Who’s Snowflake?” Rain asked.

                “A loner who rescued us when she saw us drowning,” Salmonkit replied. “Now you were doing fine for a little while, what happened?”

                “I stopped doing what you said for a moment and then I felt myself start to sink beneath the water. So I just freaked out,” Salmonkit’s friend answered.

                “Would you want to try again?” she offered hesitantly.

                “Yeah, I’ll be fine as long as I keep following your advice,” Rain replied.

                I would’ve understood if she said no. She’s braver than I thought. I just hope she’s okay this time.

                “All right. Be careful!” Salmonkit warned her.

                Rain nodded and jumped in. Salmonkit watched nervously. “Good job!” she called.

                Rain was swimming strongly. She climbed after a long time and shook herself to get dry. “That was fun!” she exclaimed. “It’s really simple as long as I keep moving my paws, like you said!”

                “Now I’ll teach you how to catch fish,” Salmonkit meowed and Rain listened eagerly.

***

                Rain was like a littermate to Salmonkit.

                Salmonkit taught her games and soon every day, they were playing moss-ball, swimming, or play-fighting. Rain was so understanding and fun, and she helped to slowly ease the pain of Foxkit’s death.

                Time passed. Salmonkit was old enough to be an apprentice, that is, if she still lived with RiverClan.

                “Could you tell me about the camp?” Rain asked at nighttime one day.

                “Oh, the camp was beautiful. It was on an island surrounded by stream, with bramble thickets and thorn bushes as dens, except for the warriors den. The warriors den was inside of a stone wall. There was one tree where Smallstar would call a Clan meeting from, and it was called the RiverTree,” Salmonkit remembered. “I’ve told you about the Beginner’s Pool. It was in the center of camp next to a pile of fish known as the fresh-kill pile. The nursery was small but…”

                “When you talk about your old life, you sound like you miss it,” Rain interrupted. “I think you liked living in RiverClan. Why don’t you go back?”

                “First of all, I’m not sure that they’ll take me back,” Salmonkit started.

                “Think about it, Salmonkit. If I know you at all, I know that deep down inside of you, your heart still lies with RiverClan,” Rain meowed.

                Rain rested her head on the ground and fell asleep but Salmonkit was still awake. I could be an apprentice, and later a warrior. I could defend my Clan, learn battle moves, and live in the camp. Maybe one day, I might even be leader or deputy!

                So by the next morning, Salmonkit had made her decision.

                “Rain, I’m returning to RiverClan,” she announced.

                Rain nodded. “I knew you would eventually,” Salmonkit’s friend purred.

                “But only if you’re coming with me,” Salmonkit added.

                Rain stood up. “Of course! Now let’s hunt while we’re still here, because we probably won’t be able to catch anything on the journey.”

A/N: So Salmonkit is returning to RiverClan and Rain is coming with her! What do you think? :D (Oh, and yay, Rain didn't die!)