Chapter 22

Chapter 22

                “Marshpaw and Salmonpaw will fight each other first and the winner of that battle will face Flowerpaw,” Eaglefeather announced. “Now remember, claws sheathed. We’re not trying to kill each other here…”

                “Aw!” Marshpaw complained jokingly.

                “Just please start attacking each other,” Eaglefeather sighed. “Your constant jokes annoy everybody.”

                “That’s not true! I know Troutstar secretly loves them!” Marshpaw declared.

                “If Marshpaw won’t fight, then you can attack first, Salmonpaw,” Eaglefeather growled.

                Salmonpaw didn’t hesitate. She leapt towards him but he was more alert than he seemed to be. He sidestepped and as she landed, he sprang onto her back. Just like that, the red-furred she-cat was pinned to the ground. Icewhisker looked disappointed. “That was easier than I thought!” Marshpaw chuckled as Salmonpaw relaxed.

                Just as Eaglefeather was about to state that Marshpaw had won, she heaved herself upward and threw him off. His eyes widened with surprise but as soon as he hit the ground, he quickly scrambled back to his paws and charged. Salmonpaw held her ground and braced herself for the impact. Both cats tumbled onto the ground but by pure luck, she landed on top of Marshpaw. “Get off of me,” he groaned. “Are you trying to suffocate me? You weigh almost as much as Mosspool!”

                The three mentors and Flowerpaw were trying not to laugh. Despite being defeated by the red-furred she-cat, his sense of humor remained. One thing Salmonpaw knew from talking with Coldpaw was that Marshpaw was not a sore loser. “I guess Salmonpaw wins!” Rosethorn purred.

                Salmonpaw wound up being beaten by Flowerpaw, although it took her a long time because the red-furred she-cat put up a good fight. She was disappointed to lose and hoped for a rematch sometime soon.

***

                She visited Rainpaw as soon as they returned. “Hi, Salmonpaw!” Crazypaw meowed cheerfully while Stonepaw continued to sleep.

                Salmonpaw nodded quickly before sitting down next to her friend. “I have something to tell you,” Rainpaw whispered. “My leg isn’t going to heal properly but Leafwhisker says I can be his apprentice.”
                It took Salmonpaw a moment to digest that. “What?” she screeched at last. “You can’t be a boring medicine cat! You’re destined to be a warrior!”

                Her friend shook her head. “I’m afraid not,” she sighed. “But that doesn’t mean we won’t be friends.”

                Salmonpaw was devastated. No! I need Rainpaw to become a warrior like me!

***

                All three apprentices lifted their heads and looked at their leader. Salmonpaw was hardly able to contain her excitement. “I do,” she replied, hearing Marshpaw and Flowerpaw echo her words.

                “Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Salmonpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Salmonstorm. StarClan honors your bravery and intelligence and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan,” Troutstar meowed.

                Salmonstorm! That’s such a cool name!

                “Flowerpaw, you will be known as Flowerfur. StarClan honors your loyalty and skill and we welcome you as a full warrior of our Clan. Marshpaw, from now on, you will be known as Marshcloud. StarClan honors your…” Troutstar paused for a moment. “Sense of humor and friendliness and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan.”

                Salmonstorm listened with pride as her Clanmates chanted her new name. She’d been so scared to fail the assessment, worried that she wouldn’t get another chance if she did. But after defeating Marshcloud and Flowerfur in almost every challenge, her doubts had faded and she was confident that she fully deserved her warrior name. As her friends came and congratulated her, she was happier than ever that she’d made the decision to return to her Clan.

                Salmonstorm settled down near the fresh-kill pile and tried to ignore the cold air that meant leaf-bare was on the way. Marshcloud and Flowerfur sat next to each other by the Beginner’s Pool and she wasn’t expecting to suddenly feel warm fur against her back. She turned to see Hailcloud beside her and forgot that she wasn’t supposed to speak. “You don’t have to stay here,” she whispered. “This isn’t your vigil.”

                “I know I don’t have to,” he purred quietly. “But I want to.”