Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Salmonkit approached the Twolegplace for the first time in moons. "Are you sure you can remember how to get through here?" she whispered to Rain.

Rain looked at her but didn't stop walking. "Can you remember the RiverClan camp and stuff?" she asked and Salmonkit nodded. "Well, I can remember how to navigate through this town."

"Town" was Rain's word for Twolegplace. Rain led her along the Thunderpath for a while and both cats maintained a brisk pace. Salmonkit was anxious to reach horse-place at least before they rested.

The Twolegplace was as confusing as ever with the small Twoleg dens and multiple Thunderpaths. A barking dog made Salmonkit jump. "Don't worry, it's chained to that tree," Rain whispered.

Salmonkit guessed that Rain was referring to the Twoleg thing wrapped around its neck. But it wasn't very reassuring when she looked at the massive beast with its sharp yellow fangs showing. She hurried on.

Rain had no trouble finding her way through the Twolegplace and they were soon following the Thunderpath towards her old home. Salmonkit wasn't certain that they were walking in the right direction until she saw the forest. The moon was just rising. "Rain! That's the forest I stayed in before I arrived at Twolegplace!" Salmonkit shouted excitedly.

"Should we stop there for tonight?" Rain suggested. "I know you want to keep moving, but it's nighttime and it might be a good idea to get some sleep."

Salmonkit shook her head. Tiredness wasn't affecting her. "I think if we keep going, we'll make it there by sunhigh tomorrow," she meowed, walking even faster despite her aching paws.

Rain sighed but followed her anyways. The Thunderpath seemed to go on forever. Salmonkit stopped when just a little past moonhigh she suddenly saw tall Twoleg structures to her right. "It's horse-place!" she screamed, running towards it.

She slowed down at the Thunderpath, but not as many monsters were crossing it this time. "Run across when I tell you to," she ordered.

Rain gave a quick nod. A monster rushed by and Salmonkit yelled, "Now!"

They dashed across safely and continued on into horse-place. Salmonkit could faintly smell the lake on the breeze and she followed its scent. She stopped when she recognized a big red "barn" that she knew was directly behind the field leading to the RiverClan border.

New energy rushed through her paws and Salmonkit found herself running at top speed. "Wait for me!" Rain yowled, and she slowed slightly to let her friend catch up.

The wonderful smell of the RiverClan scent markers filled her nostrils. The sun was rising, painting the sky in a beautiful mixture of orange, yellow, and pink. Salmonkit crossed the border without hesitation. I'm finally home.

"Stop!" a voice suddenly shouted. "What are you worthless rogues doing trespassing on RiverClan territory?"

Salmonkit skidded to a halt and looked up to see an angry Mosspool leading a patrol towards them. "Hello, Mosspool. That's not a polite way to greet an old friend!" she purred, knowing they didn't recognize her. "Hi, Ripplecloud. Still a drypaw, I assume? And Marshkit...no, Marshpaw. You look bigger than the last time I saw you."

Mosspool looked bewildered. "How do you know our names?" he growled suspiciously. "And who in StarClan's name are you?"

"Who am I? I'm a cat," she chuckled, knowing that response would seriously annoy Mosspool.

Marshpaw's eyes suddenly widened. "No, it can't be her," he whispered. "Is your name Salmonkit?"

"Yes," Salmonkit replied.

"Welcome back!" Marshpaw and Ripplecloud meowed at the same time.

"Every cat thought you were dead or at least gone for good. I guess I'll take you back to camp, but who is she?" Mosspool demanded, looking at Rain.

"A friend," Salmonkit growled. "Now take us to Smallstar."

All three cats exchanged glances. "Smallstar is dead," Ripplecloud spoke finally. "Troutstar became leader three moons ago."

Salmonkit bowed her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't know," she apologized. "Who's deputy?"

"Me," Mosspool snarled. "Now let's get going."

A/N: I am a very happy author!Salmonkit has officially returned to RiverClan! :D