Chapter 8

Chapter 8

                Salmonkit wandered around, confused by the identical Twoleg dens, strange scents, and loud sounds. The occasional monster would pass by, but the monsters in the Twolegplace seemed slower and less frequent. Her belly rumbled but she couldn’t find any prey. I’m so hungry…I hope I reach a river soon.

                Salmonkit nearly jumped out of her fur when a voice from above shouted, “Hi!”

                She looked up to see a fat light brown she-cat sitting on top of a fence. The cat looked about her age, perhaps slightly older. “Um, hi,” she offered.

                “What’s your name?” the kittypet asked. “I haven’t seen you around before!”

                “Salmonkit,” the young kit answered. “What’s your name?”

                “Rainbow, but all my friends just call me Rain or Rainy,” the strange cat replied. “Where do you live?”

                “I’m not a kittypet,” Salmonkit meowed hurriedly.

                Rainbow tilted her head to one side. “What’s a kittypet?” she asked curiously.

                “A cat that lives with Twolegs, you know, big, tall, creatures with no fur,” Salmonkit responded, already walking again.

                I don’t want to waste time talking to a spoiled kittypet.

                Rainbow leapt down from her fence and started walking alongside her. “Where do you come from then?” she asked.

                “I used to live with the Clans, a long way from here,” Salmonkit sighed, wishing the kittypet would leave her alone. “But I left because no one liked me.”

                “Oh, I’ve heard of the Clans! I thought they were just legends that my mother made up! And how do you know that nobody liked you?” Rainbow asked. “I mean, maybe one cat didn’t, but…”

                Salmonkit halted and spun around, shoving her nose in Rainbow’s face. “Has your father ever accused you of causing your sister’s death? Has your mother ever intentionally left you to sleep alone in the cold?” she demanded. “No, of course they haven’t. Or else you wouldn’t be so talkative.”

                The kittypet sensed Salmonkit’s anger. “Sorry, I didn’t know. I didn’t mean to upset you,” she meowed quietly.

                “Why are you still following me?” Salmonkit asked, quickening her pace.

                Rainbow shrugged. “Because I like meeting new cats, I guess,” she answered, also moving faster to keep up with Salmonkit.

                Rainbow continued to walk next to Salmonkit as they crossed another empty Thunderpath. “How can you stand being a kittypet?” she wondered.

                Rainbow stared at the ground. “I can’t,” she admitted. “It’s so boring and the food is awful. But I wouldn’t be able to survive in the wild. And how would I learn before I died? I may live with housefolk, but I understand survival.”

                “I could teach you to hunt and stuff!” Salmonkit blurted out before she could stop herself.

                Rainbow’s eyes widened. “Really?” she whispered excitedly.

                Oh, great StarClan, what have I gotten myself into? Should I just say I was joking around?

                But Salmonkit was lonely and she did want company. Rainbow might be a kittypet, but it was still better to have her around than to be all alone. “Yes, on one condition,” she replied. “Can you find me a river?”

                “Of course!” Rainbow purred. “There’s one on the other end of Twolegplace!”

                “Can you take me there?” Salmonkit asked.

                “Yes!” Rainbow shouted. “Let’s go!”

                Rainbow led the way, crossing countless Thunderpaths, jumping over fences and walking through some Twolegs’ territory. Salmonkit was nervous about walking so close to a Twoleg den, but she didn’t want the kittypet to know.

                By sunset, she was starting to wonder if Rainbow actually knew where she was going or if she had just been bluffing so that Salmonkit would let her come. “Here’s the street we need to follow towards those hills in the distance!” she declared.

                The “street” as Rainbow called Thunderpaths looked just the same as all of the rest of them. A lone monster passed by. Salmonkit was yawning with tiredness and her paws ached from walking so far. But suddenly, she heard the faint sound of rushing water and new energy flooded through her. She couldn’t keep herself from running at top speed towards the noise, and Rainbow, as unfit as she was, quickly fell behind.

                Salmonkit reached a tall Twoleg barrier with a gap in it. She squeezed through and on the other side, the ground sloped downwards towards a river. Hills were in all directions, and the moon’s glow reflected off of the water. Rainbow stared at her as she happily jumped in the water, splashing around.

                Salmonkit climbed out and shook her fur dry. She sat on the bank and waited, looking down at the water. She quickly reached down with a paw and brought a small fish out of the river, swiftly killing it with a nip to its spine. Rainbow glanced longingly towards it. The kittypet probably hasn’t gone even a quarter of a day without food before.

                Salmonkit tossed the fish to her companion and caught another for herself shortly after.

                Lying on her back on the soft grass, staring at Silverpelt above with Rainbow fast asleep beside her, and resting with her hunger finally satisfied, this place almost felt like home. But nothing will ever feel the same…because that life is gone.

A/N: Quick! Someone! Look at the multimedia! :D

The last few times I’ve given everybody a link and I guess no one wanted to have to type it in(can’t blame you though) :D So I put a picture of Salmonstar as multimedia this time. Please comment about it, someone, I don’t care if you say it’s terrible as long as you remember I’m an author, not an artist! :) How about pretty please with a cherry on top?

Also, let me know what you think of the chapter! :D This is the first time a character in one of my Warrior fanfics has left the Clan territory, and I hope you like it! Sorry for bothering you with this long of a note, and may StarClan light your path!