Prologue

Prologue

                A flame-colored she-cat glanced up at the sound of pawsteps. She abandoned the fish she’d been eating and raced over to join a red-furred she-cat who was about to exit the camp.

                “Salmonstar, can I come with you?” Tawnyflame asked.

                She’s very loyal and caring. I’ve had my doubts about the dream Leafwhisker received but perhaps she’ll be a good leader eventually after all.

                The RiverClan leader shook her head. “I appreciate the offer, but I just need to be alone right now,” Salmonstar replied. “It’ll be nice to be hunting again.”

                “Why don’t you just use the stream that surrounds camp? There’s some fish there, and you can keep an eye on your kits that way,” the RiverClan deputy suggested.

                “Icewhisker already agreed to play with them until I return,” she responded.

                “He’s a good father,” Tawnyflame commented.

                Salmonstar nodded, only partly listening to what Tawnyflame was saying. She pushed her way through the reeds by the riverbank and started swimming across. As she kicked out strongly with her hindlegs, she enjoyed the water soaking into her fur and the minnows brushing by her paws. I wonder why the other Clans don’t like to swim. It’s so much fun!

                Salmonstar climbed out on the other side and shook herself to get her fur somewhat dry. She trotted along the river as it widened and stopped when she could see the lake. The stream poured out into the vast expanse of water that separated the Clans much better than borders ever could.

                The RiverClan leader sat down and waited patiently, making sure she wasn’t casting a shadow over the water. A small fish passed by, unaware of its predator ready to pounce above. Swift as lightning, Salmonstar brought her paw down into the water and hooked the fish with her claws, tossing it onto the sand next to her. It wriggled, desperately trying to find its way back into the stream. She ended its struggles with a sharp nip to its spine.

                The red-furred she-cat had soon caught four fish and was preparing to carry her catch back to camp when she heard a distant high-pitched squeal. Salmonstar instantly dropped her prey and raced towards the voice. “Help! Help! Please somebody!” a young female voice shrieked.

                It was coming from the Greenleaf Twolegplace near the ShadowClan border. Salmonstar nearly fainted when she saw a small silver-furred kit inching her way backwards onto the Twoleg half-bridge and a large black-and-white creature staring at the young she-cat with beady black eyes. “Minnowkit!” Salmonstar shouted. “What are you doing out of camp?”

                Fortunately, the sound of a new voice distracted the badger temporarily. “I wanted to explore!” the kit wailed. “I’m sorry, please help me!”

                “We’re coming!” Tawnyflame yelled from somewhere nearby, assuming Minnowkit was talking to her.

                You won’t be here soon enough. I will hold off the badger. After all, even if I die, I still have six more lives, right?

                Salmonstar yowled with fury and launched herself onto the badger’s shoulders. It threw her off easily and the RiverClan leader hit the ground hard. She scrambled up and raked her claws across the badger’s broad snout. The vicious animal raised a massive forepaw and Salmonstar caught a glimpse of large, sharp, brown claws. The RiverClan leader tried to dodge the blow aimed for her neck, but failed.

                She collapsed onto the ground as agony washed over and the last thing she saw was Tawnyflame leading a group of warriors towards the badger. They will save Minnowkit…

                StarClan warriors appeared around Salmonstar, but they were already starting to flicker and fade. “We’re sorry, Salmonstar, we can’t save you,” their voices all seemed to blend together.

                The RiverClan leader glanced around. “What does that mean?” she demanded.

                “The wound is too large,” they replied. “We cannot heal you.”

                “You mean that…” Salmonstar began to ask the question, already dreading the answer she knew they’d give her.

                “Yes. We’re sorry, but you will have to die six more times,” they answered.

                Salmonstar was back in Clan territory. The badger was gone. But the terrible agony was not. A spasm passed through her body and she screamed in pain. She could feel her claws tearing up clumps of grass and sensed every cat watching in horror. “What’s wrong?” Minnowkit asked, not understanding what was happening.

                Blackness flashed in front of her but quickly dissolved and the scene repeated itself. Sunblaze and Falconflight escorted Minnowkit back to camp. Tawnyflame stayed and crouched beside her dying leader. “No, Salmonstar, you can’t die,” the flame-colored she-cat whispered. “I’m not ready.”

                Another shudder passed through Salmonstar’s body and she weakly opened her mouth to speak. “Lead my Clan well…and tell Icewhisker that I’m sorry,” she coughed.

                “Salmonstar…” Tawnyflame began to protest.

                “It is your destiny,” Salmonstar managed to speak one final time.

                She felt her breathing halt again and everything became dark. And then, it started all over again.

                Salmonstar’s lungs ached. Her mouth was dry. She was drowning in a river of agony, losing the battle each time. Finally, she found herself back in the fields of StarClan. Sandfur and Foxkit were waiting for her, both sadness and happiness gleaming in their eyes. “Welcome to StarClan, Salmonstar,” Sandfur meowed.

A/N: Yes, I decided to do a "Bluestar Beginning" as I like to call it(because of Bluestar's Prophecy's Prologue) :D

Hope you enjoyed, please tell me your thoughts! :D