Chapter 8: Oh, Ireland!

Start from the beginning

Minutes later, the front door opened and closed. Leaving the room, she found the note he left informing her he'd come back soon. Now that she was alone, she had no other choice but to clean the house spotless. Taiwo knocked out the plate of dishes from their late night snacking. She found a broom and began sweeping and discarding remnants into the waste bin. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Connor must have forgotten something but when she opened the door, there stood the palest woman she had even seen. Both looked startled to see one another.

"I know this is the right house." she mumbled to herself.

"Hi, who are you looking for?"

"Connor Fletcher."

"He said he was going to pick something up. What's your name by the way?"

"Caroline."

"I'll let Connor know you stopped by." Before Taiwo could secure the door, Caroline held a hand firmly against the door.

"What's your name?"

"Taiwo."

"I didn't know Connor had anyone accompanying him. Do you work for him?"

"I work beside him, yes."

"I see. Have you just arrived?"

"No. Connor and I arrived together."

"Do you mind if I come in? My family asked me to bring over a few things for him."

"No, come in." Stepping inside, Caroline settled the bags on the table and looked around. "You must be the one who provided groceries the last time."

"I am."

"Would you like to have a seat while I put away the groceries?" As she grabbed for the bags, Caroline jerked them away.

"I don't mean to be rude, it's just that there is homemade food I made for him in here. I don't want any of the dishes to get broken."

"It isn't difficult to store a few containers."

"I'm sorry," Caroline blew out a frustrated breath, "but, who are you?"

"My name's Taiwo. Connor calls me Tai."

"Tai...are you two...?"

"What?"

"Do I have to spell it out!?" she snapped.

"What Connor and I are or are not is no concern of yours. I'll tell him you stopped by." Walking over to the door, she opened it for Caroline to depart but instead she didn't budge.

"You can't put me out."

"And why can't I?"

"I guess Connor never told you."

"Told me what?"

"That this was supposed to be our cottage. We were supposed to get married. The way I see it, you're the intruder here, not me."

"Well, you're not married nor will you be marrying Connor as long as I have him."

"I don't know who you think you are, but I was his first love."

"The key word you're ignoring is 'was'. I'm his current and he's going back home with me. Now get off the premises!" Before blood was drawn, the front door opened, Connor standing looking back and forth between two fuming women.

"What are you doing here Caroline?"

"She was just leaving, that's what."

"Put a muzzle on your mutt Connor."