Chapter 17

The blonde twisted and turned between the silky sheets of Avery's bed, he squirmed as sweat formed itself around his forehead "No! Please!" He writhed his arms frantically, his breathing laboured as he fought with whatever nightmare he was in.

Avery jolted upwards from her pillow, a frown graced her forehead when she saw Tom squirming next to her, she placed her hands gently over his face "Love," she said softly not wanting to startle him even more but he twitched under her touch "No no no!" He shrieked into his sleep causing her to move her hands over to his shoulders and shake him lightly "Tom, wake up!" She said more stern this time. His eyes fluttered open and she locked her gaze with the frightened expression in his silvery eyes. Standing upwards abruptly he pulled her into him wrapping his arms tightly around her waist breathing heavily.

"Thanks God!" He breathed against the nape of her neck as he caught the whirl of her strawberry shampoo. He tightened the grip against her pressing her body as close to his as possible till there was no space in between, he needed to make sure she was real- to feel her skin against his, to prove that he didn't lose her once again.

"Love, are you okay?" Her voice rang into his ears, slowly making his nightmare slip away. He sighed heavily letting his fingers slide into her long brown hair as she soothingly rubbed circles on the firm planes of his back. "Just a nightmare..." he mumbled quietly letting his chin rest onto her shoulder while his other hand traced arbitrary lines to the small of her back.

Avery shifted her body in a way that she could hug him more comfortably, she moved her hand up tangling her fingers into his blonde locks "It's over now." She whispered softly into his ear and felt him relax into her touch. She could feel the warmness of his body combine with her own, their heartbeats seemed to beat into one rhythm like they were only one person.

Tom moved his head from Avery's shoulder and gazed deeply into her hazel eyes before pressing his forehead against hers, their noses touching she looked into his silver eyes. He didn't say a thing just peacefully enjoyed being with her, he loved the way she held him close, like if she too was afraid to lose him.

"What was it about?" The words left her lips breaking the silence in the room. Tom let out a heavy sigh and closed his eyes shut "Losing you." he simply said. Her heart raced into her chest at his words "You're never going to lose me, not again." She reassured him by pressing her lips onto his gently for a brief moment.

"It's stronger than me Avy, I just can't shake it off. " He said and lowered his gaze from hers, he felt the guilt eating him up again, he felt it every night when he closed his eyes, every time her legs gave out on her, everytime she frowned because of her inability to run like she used to.

"Talk to me about it, what is your dream?" She asked placing her hand gently over his cheek, he leaned into it enjoying her soft skin against his face. She wanted to ease out his pain, more than anyone she knew how Tom bottled up his feelings.

He closed his eyes briefly trying to formulate his thoughts "It's always the same, I'm running after you in the pitch of the night, the flickering lights of a car are shining in my eyes and I see you collapse on the pavement," he felt his chest tighten as the image placed itself back in his mind. Avery felt like her heart sunk to the pit of her stomach, she hated seeing him hurt like this, for something that could never be changed she moved one of her hands lacing it with his, squeezing it gently. He let out a shaky breath "and than I get you in my arms, I can feel the blood on me still Avy," he looked her directly in the eyes 'sorry' written all over them as they glistened with unshed tears "and than I find myself with you at a pitch of a cliff and you're falling and I can't do a thing except listen to Melissa's annoying voice calling after me."