Chapter 8

The cold crisp air blew in Tom's face as he looked up at the building where his nightmares came to life, the place where Avery fought for her life. He couldn't be near the building anymore without the the stinging pain in his chest, but today was the day and he needed to be there. He pushed his hands deep into his pockets before heading for the door.He barely made a step inside the hospital hall when the images placed themselves back into his mind vividly.

He was running next to the cart where Avery's body was laid as the paramedics pushed it and the doctors intervened "Get her to an X-Ray, prepare the MRI!" Said the doctor to the paramedics. "Is she okay?" He asked but everyone seemed to ignore him almost like if he wasn't even there. They pushed past him getting her to where the doctor instructed them. He stood there for a second staring at the blood on his shirt and hands.

Tom took his hands out of his pockets and observed them for a brief moment, he could still feel the blood on them, feel it drip slowly from them although it wasn't there anymore. He blinked several times to get the image out of his mind . The cries of the hospital halls rang loudly into his ears as he made his way inside. He shook his head struggling to muffle out the screams and images that played on repeat inside of his mind. Finally reaching it, he pushed past the second door on the left side "Sorry I'm late!" He grinned flashing the best smile he could master to Avery.

Avery was a fighter, just one look at her beautiful face and he was most certainly sure that he made the right decision, he still couldn't believe how she proved all the doctors wrong a month ago. "It's okay, we're just getting started." She said with a smile, her voice sounded so different than before. She used to have a honey coated sweet voice and now it sounded a bit raspier than before. Dr. Shone had explained it to them that it was a side effect of the oxygen tube that took place down her throat. The guilt seeped back inside of Tom when he saw her struggle, although he was really thankful that she didn't get any serious brain injury from being in a coma for 3 months. He quickly took of his jacket and placed it on the hanger in the room and made his way towards Avery.

When he arrived next to her she was holding herself to the two metal bars with the trainer. She needed physical therapy in order to strengthen her muscles, after she woke up from the coma she wasn't able to walk normally. Considering that the first month of therapy was always the hardest Avery was doing well. Tom stood there next to her observing her as she made her way slowly holding herself tightly to the bars. The sight made his chest tighten, her cries echoed in his mind and ears every time he closed his eyes he could hear her cry from the pain in her legs. Every time she fell down he cursed himself over and over, as much as being immobile troubled her, it troubled him too because he was the one responsible for all of her pain. "Don't worry love I got you." He hastened to reassure her to make the step that she was hesitating to take. He walked along to the bars next to her offering her encouraging smiles. Although her hair was pulled on top of her head into a messy bun, it didn't stop the sweat that dripped from her eyebrows as she managed to get to the end of the metal bars.

"Good job!" Her trainer congratulated her with a smile. Her face lit up instantly and , the corners of her lips curved up into a smile when she heard those words. Tom watched her with pride of her accomplishment, a smile tugging onto his lips "You did great Avy."

"Let's go on to the second exercise." The trainer beckoned to the rubber ball. Avery stepped away from the metal bars and stumbled a little, Tom quickly reacted with wrapping his hands around her waist pulling her into him. He shifted his weight so one of his hands was wrapped around her waist and her hand was around his shoulders. He held tightly on her as he helped her walk to her second exercise. Every step she took was calculated, slow, hesitated, with great precaution "Don't worry baby I'm here." He reassured her again with a warm smile as he lead her slowly to the yoga mat and rubber ball. Cautiously he removed his hand from around her waist as he slowly pulled her down to the mat and placed the rubber ball between her legs. The goal for her was to try and move the ball with her legs. Her legs shook above the ball the first time she tried to move it which resulted with the ball slipping from below her legs. She frowned and sighed heavily lowering her head on the mat as more sweat formed on her forehead.