Chapter Twenty Three-Draco's Lie

After his classes that evening Harry met up with Draco at the request of Pansys who told him that she had never seen Draco looking so forlorn before. "Go work your potter magic on him," she said. He wasn't quite sure what she meant by 'potter magic'. He didn't know any spells that could cure depression.

"Not that kind of magic!" she exclaimed when he told her that he was not experienced in medical magic. "Romantic magic. Something to make him feel better."

So he sent off in the direction that she told him, finding Draco in the library, and just as she had said, looking absolutely terrible. He was paler than usual, his cheeks sunken in like he hadn't eaten in weeks, and he had dark circle under his eyes. He sank back in a chair staring at a book as if reading, but his pupils did not move. His hands shook when he went to turn the pages. Everything about him looked different, except his hair. Which was slicked back in the normal Draco fashion. God, he could be such a girl sometimes.

"Draco? Are you alright?" Harry asked sitting on the armrest of Draco's chair. He placed a warm hand on Draco's chilly cheek and turned his head so that he was looking at him, "you look terrible."

He half smiled, "thanks. You don't look half bad yourself." he closed his book and turned his body to better look at Harry.

"Sorry. It's only the truth," he said softly, he hardened his voice, "now answer my question. I want to know what's going on. Truthful, if you could."

"If I could?" he laughed, "I don't think I can. I've done that before. Tell the truth, what even? Teach me your saint ways." he stopped laughing when he noticed that Harry was not sharing his manner. "Okay, Harry. Before I tell you, can I trust you won't get mad? I just didn't know how to tell you. I didn't want you to worry. But I guess you already are, so don't get mad, Promise?"

'I am a death eater' Draco said in his mind. "I promise," Harry said, not sure if he was ready for the truth.

Draco took a deep shaky breath, "I lied to you when I told you that my father didn't care about our relationship and that he didn't do anything. He was furious."

"Oh my god, Draco. What did he do to you?" Harry stood up, "did he hurt you? Curcio curse, did he do that to you? Damn it Draco! I am so sorry."

"No, Harry just listen. He did use the crucio curse but that's not the worst part. Now listen." He grabbed Harry's hand and guided him back to his seat. "Now all high-status purebloods, when they are born, enter this automatic marriage agreement. To you know, keep the pureblood blood status from running out. This has been set from my birth pretty much, but he's made me sign the contract. I've got to be married to either Daphne Greengrass or her younger sister, Astoria."

Harry sat speechless, angry at Dracos father. And both Daphne and Astoria. "Either one of them, huh?" Draco nodded. "Which one of them would you choose?"

"Neither, Harry! I was going to spend my whole life with you."

Harry beamed with pleasure. "Awe, Draco. But how are you going to get out of it?"

"I don't know. We'll figure out something, we alway do."

At that Harry migrated onto Draco's lap, placing his arms around the boy's body and pulling him closer to him. Draco leaned his head on Harry's as Harry stroked his hair.  They sat that way for a long time, holding each other in the silence of the library. Dinner had ended and students began to file into the library, some scowling at the two as they passed, others smiled at them."Draco, I have to go." Harry whispered in his ear, Draco tightened his grip around Harry. "I have a meeting with Dumbledore tonight."