Chapter Nineteen-The Mark

Later that night, at the conclusion of all his classes, Harry progresses towards the great hall. Walking only a few paces in front of Ron and Hermione who were having a heated discussion about Quidditch and it's importance. Harry was on Ron's side of the disagreement, Quidditch was one of the more important things.

They walked through the tall entrance, the clamor of student conversations overwhelmed him, making him cringe a little. Turning his attention towards the Slytherin table, he noticed that Draco was not present. He turned on his heels and left the room, he must already be in the tower. He took large strides to decrease his walking time. Arriving at the opening of the tower he ran his fingers through his hair a couple of times, knowing that he was not going to make it lie flat, but just wanting it to look semi-presentable.

He walked up the spiral staircase, flattening his robes to his body, making sure there were no creases. He prodded the door open, he was filled with disappointment as he stood in front of the barren room. He took a lap around the room before placing himself in the center and taking a seat. His head immediately filled with doubts about Draco actually showing up to the date.

Outside the sun had begun to set, casting gloomy shadows throughout the room. The wind blew through the bottom of the windows creating a sharp acrimonious sound. Harry did not know how long he had been waiting, he had lost track of the time. He got up from his seated position and stretched his legs. Deciding it was time to go, Draco was not going to show up. He took two strides towards the door when it flew open and the blonde stepped in wide-eyed and red cheeks.

"You're looking a bit knackered, Draco. Everything okay?"

Draco closed the door and stepped toward Harry. "Yeah, everything's fine."

"Where were you!" Harry began to scold, but he was interrupted by Draco's lips on his own. The warmth from Harry's lips began to seep through to Draco's cold ones as they pushed deeper into the kiss. After they had pulled away Harry tried to ask his question one more time. Draco placed a finger to his lips.

"I am really sorry about that, I got caught up in something. How long have you been waiting?"

"I don't know, awhile."

Draco responded with another kiss, moving his tongue along the inside of Harry's mouth this time. He rested his hands on Draco's hip bones and pulled him closer so that they were completely immersed in each other. Draco's hands crawled up Harry's back into his hair, pushing his face closer to his. They broke away to breathe but were back at it again within seconds. Draco moved away from his mouth and trailed kisses along Harry's jawline. Sucking on a particular spot on Harry's neck, just below his ear, that made him moan. Finding pleasure in the noise that Harry had just made, he pulled him closer, sucking harder. 

Pulling away Draco stared into Harry's eyes, putting his hands to Harry's cheeks. They stood staring into each other's eyes without a word said. Draco clasped his hands together at the back of Harry's neck and put their foreheads together.

"That's probably going to leave a mark." running the tip of his nose over the stop that he had been sucking.

"That's okay. I want people to know."

"Know what?"

"That I'm the luckiest man alive."

Draco chuckled into Harry's neck. "Yes, you are."

"You're so cocky, I hate it. But I love it so much. I love you so much."

Draco stopped breathing, 'I love you so much' Harry's words repeated in his brain. How was he going to respond to that? People normally give the same acclaim back Once having it received. But Draco had never said those words before, let alone actually meaning it. He stayed silent not knowing whether or not to return the courtesy. 

They continued talking in between kisses for quite some time before leaving the tower and returning to their separate common rooms. It was empty by the time Draco had gotten there which allowed him to slip off his robes and shirt to look at his mark, not the marks that Harry had left him, but the mark that the dark lord had given him. The ugly snake ridden skull that now resided on Draco's left forearm. He traced his fingers along the figure eight that the snake formed and scowled. He hated himself for allowing something so evil to abode on his body. He hated himself so much, but there was nothing he or anyone could do about it. It made him scowl harder.

He turned away from it, closing his eyes. Entering the boy's dormitories he climbed into his four-poster bed, hand still placed over the mark. This was the reason he and his family were still alive because he had accepted the mark. But for how much longer would they still be alive? Until the dark lord no longer required his assistance? Or until he had failed to complete his mission? He could not allow that to happen, but it scared him to think about what would happen if he did successfully complete that task which that dark lord had set out for him. He and his family would be safe from him, but Harry, Dumbledore, and the rest of the school would not be. Lord Voldemort would then set more tasks in front of him, even more, daunting than that, knowing full well what he was capable of.

And if he did not complete it, if he failed to do even one of the things that were asked of him, surely he would be killed; His mother and father too. He was determined not to let that happen, but how was he supposed to do that and keep Harry safe? There had to be some way around it. But he could think of no way to do both of these things.

Letting out a sigh of frustration he pushed his face deep into his pillow, he wished he was still in the warm comforts of Harry's arms and lips. At least then he knew he was safe.