F O R T Y - F O U R

"When people are protecting something truly special to them, they truly can become as strong as they can be."

-Xamdú

__________________________

Oraanu saw snow melting from the tops of trees. After such a long winter, spring was coming. That alone made him smile. 

"What had taken you so long?" he heard Fariel's voice whisper angrily. It caused his eyebrows to raise and him to hide away behind a tree.

"He had a viper's grip on me," Karos said.

"I told you, here."

Oraanu peeked and saw Fariel holding his own throat.

"Bite right here and it will put him fast asleep and relax his muscles."

Oraanu saw Karos looking at Fariel oddly before he shook his head and went on ahead.

"Yes, you may find it odd and you may not believe me, but that is why it is such a sensitive place for us."

They walked passed him causing Oraanu's eyes to lower. Just what were they doing out so late? He had visited Fariel's rooms and saw that he was not in there. Somehow, Oraanu saw that he was always with Karos. They were not romantic. No, they were very far removed from that.

"I am not going to bite his neck, Fariel," Karos said.

"He bit yours," Fariel paused, "quite a few times, actually."

Oraanu watched Karos smack his hand onto his neck causing Fariel to laugh. He smiled at their conversation and continued to walk with them from the shadows.

"So tell me... as your closest friend... " Fariel trailed off for a moment causing Karos' head to rise and look at him. "Is he easy to please?"

"Fariel!"

"Sh, do you want them to hear us?"

"I am not answering your question."

"I am curious."

"No."

"Tell me."

"No."

Oraanu could tell Karos' face was growing redder by the second. He smiled, watching as they moved passed the fallen tree trunks and went under the small defenses. Oraanu realized then, they were not going on a walk. They were leaving which caused his eyebrows to furrow. For what reason would Fariel leave him? Oraanu blinked a couple times still following behind them.

"The sun is nearly risen, so questions come to mind," Fariel said causing Karos to push him.

Oraanu looked back at Bahnasa now fading far off into the distance with pursed lips. He wanted to go back for Ake's sake, but... Fariel was here. Confusion swallowed his mind, for a moment, but he continued on to follow. Fariel had stolen his heart away since long ago and, in knowing that, he had to follow it wherever it may go.

"You are as perverse as when I first met you. Nothing has changed."

"Nothing has changed," Fariel murmured back.

As they pressed forward, Oraanu stopped to look up at the sky. Stars were falling from the sky causing Oraanu's heart to clench. Miracles... His sovereign god and creator was dying. Pieces of him were falling to the earth which made his eyes water with tears. He wiped at his eyes with the sleeve of his shirt and took off in another direction from them. He had abandoned Mirac for the sake of what he thought was love, but the love he had for his god was immense and eternal. It far outweighed many others.