13: Gummyworms

Everett

"No! I can not go to a Psychiatric Hospital!" I just can not. Lainie placed her hand in mine. "Everett, look at me." I shook my head. I know I would start crying if I looked at her.

"Everett. Please." She took my face in her hands and made me look at her. "You need to get better. I can not have you trying to take your own life again."

I placed my hand on hers. "I will not." A tear fell and she shook her head. "You say that now but what happens if you have a relapse?" I swallowed hard and looked sat the doctor who was watching us intently.

"When would I leave?" I asked. "You would leave today and be admitted for thirty days, if they feel you are stable and ready to be on your own again."

I looked down at my hands. "What time?" The doctor checked his watch. "In two hours. That way we can make sure everything is out of your system." I nodded.

Lainie was reading her book, with tears still in her eyes, but she was eating gummy worms. I smiled slightly. "Hey, will you read to me?" I asked her. "You probably will not like this book." I tilted my head.

"Why not?" She shrugged. "The author is me." I smiled. "Please read to me Lainie. I want to here it so I can remember it before I leave."
She nodded. "It is poetry. Kind of a free write." She said before starting.

"It is true, he is annoying. It is true he is nothing but curious. It is true he brought happiness to my life. It is true that he is my sweet addiction. It is true he is the reason I smile. It is true he is my everything. It is true."
I looked at her.

"All of it is true?"