Chapter 5 : Atonement for Salvation

Sharon had a mixed feeling right now. She was happy to see her teammates were back to their usual relationship, but at the same time...they were awfully close, especially Ayce who became overprotective towards Surt now. Some guild members were pointed out that fact, but Ayce just said he couldn't leave Surt alone. Surt, on the other hand, didn't mind about Ayce's current overprotective to him. Ayce still scolded him once awhile, but Surt didn't timid like usual. Even so, there was something off between them now.

"What happened between you and Surt, Ayce?" Sharon asked to Ayce when it was lunch break.

"This again?" Ayce was irritated for it because there were too many members asked the same thing, now Sharon asked it as well. "There's nothing between us, Sharon, so shut it."

"There must be something happened between you both..." Sharon continued to press on, she wouldn't let him escape. "Tell me!"

"Like hell, Sharon!"

"I have the right to know!"

"I said there's nothing wrong between us!"

"I said-"

"Nii-san, let's have lu-!" Surt froze in where he was standing for the sight in front of him. Ayce was half-laying on the floor and Sharon was on the top of him, leaning towards him. Their faces were awfully close. It took one minute for them to realize their current position.

"I-I will come back later!"

"It's a misunderstanding!"

But Surt was already running away to avoid any embarrassed moments between three of them.

0-0-0

"Man, I'm so shocked..." Surt finally took a relieved breath when he reached Kardia Cathedral. "To think Sharon and Ayce are like that..."

The bell of the church tolled, signaling the time, and it was surprised Surt a bit.

"The church..." Surt looked up to the building, amazed by its holy and beautiful structure. Without him realizing, he stepped inside the church.

Like on the outside, the inside was beautiful with the feeling of holy around the building. Surt found a mysterious feeling of secure inside of this building. The nuns and the priests were doing their daily work around the church, some were praying.

"Oh, you're one of Fairy Tail Guild members, right?" An old priest came to him, which caught him off guard. "Do you come here to pray?"

"Oh...uhm...sorry, I'm just passing by." Surt apologized to the priest, but the priest still looked at his eyes.

"You're seeking a peace, right? I can tell that you look troubled." The priest smiled at Surt, though his words stabbed his heart.

"How can you..."

"I have seen many cases like you, young wizard." The priest still gave his gentle smile while examining Surt.

"...Then Father...is it a sin for a sinner to seek the redemption?"

To Surt's surprise, the old priest didn't seem surprised for his weird question and his smile was still full of gentleness and understanding.

"Then, young wizard, do you know why present is called 'present'?"

"I'm sorry?" Surt didn't expect the old priest answered his question with another weird question.

"Yesterday is history and future is mystery, young wizard, and that's why today is a 'gift'." The old priest just answered it, giving him a warm smile. "It's a gift to every living beings to do what they can and want do. What you made of is what you're doing today, which can be a blessing or a curse. It's your choice since the beginning of today."