11. THE OTHER CARD

Bismillah.

Yey! More than 500 reads! Thanks everyone! Had to upload this one in my phone as internet was slow. Alhamdulillah for bluetooth and ms word! Dedication for each chapter shall resume when I can already upload through my laptop. In shaa Allah.

11. The Other Card

Zai's POV

"It's a Sunday and yet you're leaving the house," Inah warned me.

"Inah, I told you ZJ's flight tomorrow shall be in the early morn. I need to see her now," I said for the nth time.

My mother is in one of her moods again. I cannot understand why she won't let me.

"Then tell her to just visit you here," she said, while changing the pillow cases on the throw pillows of the couch.

I wore my purse and sat next to her.

"Inah, ZJ is a friend and ..."

"And you still have not told me how you met. You're keeping something from me my daughter. I know when you are hiding secrets. So I have a feeling that this meeting with yours might not be good for you. If you want to go, then bring someone along. Better if it's Amir," she said firmly.

"Astaghfirullah, Inah! You are exaggerating. Okay then if you don't want me to go, then I won't," I said like a child with tantrums.

I stood up and hurriedly went back to my room. I felt bad for disrespecting my Mom but I felt more bad of her lack in trust in me. I am 25 years old and about to settle down. Surely, there's nothing I couldn't handle. Besides don't I have a right to keep secrets?

Upon reaching my bed, I sat and dialed ZJ.

"Assalamu alaykum ZJ."

"Wa alaykumusalam Ukhty. I'm about to leave the house now. I got your message by the way and so I am no longer headed to Kah Amir's restaurant. I'll be at Sitti's Bake Shop in 15 minutes."

"I'm sorry ZJ. Something came up. I need to accompany my Mom... And honestly, I feel so bad as today would be your last day before you leave for London. How about I just send you off tomorrow at the airport?" I said apologetically.

"Oh.." she remarked then brief silence.

"It's okay Ukhty. Our parents are our doors to Jannah. I completely understand. I would really appreciate if you're going to make it tomorrow at the airport. Inah would come to London to me too. Alhamdulillah the doctors approved of it."

"Alhamdulillah. Wait, are you really going to migrate there for good?"

"Yes. I will further my Islamic education there too. I got a scholarship. That was what I wanted to share to you over breakfast."

"Masha Allah. I am very happy for you!"

We chat for some more until I was no longer guilty. After changing from my abaya to house clothes, I climbed down the living room to apologize to my Mom. She was at her garden, watering her orchids.

"Inah, my lovely Inah!" I said sweetly.

"Hmmm, now you're sorry?"

"Yeah. Sorry!"

"So is she Amir's ex fiancée?"

I almost stumble as I walked towards her.

"No, Inah. She used to be Amir's .... Uhm.. potential wife," I answered and sat at the bench.