1: Fudge

Everett

I stood behind the counter of the Sugar Pop Sweets store waiting for customers to come in. It was a Monday morning and nobody eats sweets on Monday mornings. So why was I here?

There was one girl who always stopped by around eight o'clock every single morning, not a minute early, nor a minute late. Everyday, the bell on the door chimed at eight, she would pick an item to snack on while she read at a table.

She would enjoy her sweet treat as she read her book quietly and calmly. Then when nine o'clock rolled around, she would leave.

I looked at the clock and saw it read seven fifty-nine. When it hit eight, the familiar, petit, short haired brunette, with a freckled nose, and bright blue eyed girl stepped foot in the building.

She looked up at me and offered a sweet smile. "Could I get a piece of the chocolate, mint, swirled fudge please?" I nodded. "Anything else for today?" She looked down and pulled her wallet out of her pocket, handing me a five. "No, just that." I handed her the change, but she would only drop it in the glass tip jar that had tacky stickers covering it from bottom to top.

I handed her the piece of fudge and watched her as she muttered a thank you and walked in the direction of the table she sat at everyday. I could not help but wonder about her. She seemed reserved, quiet, and intelligent.

She made faces as she read the book that was present in her hands. What are you reading? The book had no cover or title that was in plain sight.

She took a bite of the sliver fudge and smiled to herself. Her smile caused me to smile. She was beautiful. Something about her pulled me to her.

I wanted to know her.