Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty (Newell)

Monica safely gave us the basilisk, tank, tarp, and all. So bringing him back was a bit easy, at least, not getting killed by its venom or eyes anyway. Carrying it was a completely different story. I made Xed do it as he could carry heavy things, but he looked like he was struggling with it a bit as I opened the door to the hotel room.

Much to my relief, Daimonas stayed in the room the entire time we were out. He looked up as we came in, his eyes widening as he hopped off the bed to come over to us curiously. I made space by pushing the television over, making space for the tank. Xed set it down, looking relieved not to have to carry it anymore.

"Is that the snake?" Daimonas asked curiously, moving to pick up the tarp, but I smacked his hand and he yelped, scowling at me.

"Don't," I ordered sternly, "I told you before, basilisks are dangerous. You may be able to survive things that most other people can't, but you may not be able to survive this. Let's not risk it." Daimonas pouted, but said nothing in response. He just sniffed and looked around at the tank with interest. I made sure to keep him away from the tank, though, as I turned to Xed, who was frowning down at the tank.

"I'm going to call Alaric and inform him that we got his product. Make sure Daimonas doesn't get into that tank." I added, making Daimonas scowl.

"I'm not a baby." He snapped, clenching his fists. I barely spared him a glance as Xed handed me my cell phone.

"You're three, remember? You're still a baby." I answered, making Daimonas blush and Xed patted his shoulder to calm him down. I went to the bathroom for some privacy as I dialed Alaric's number, sitting on the edge of the tub. I waited for about three rings before Alaric picked up.

"Newell! Sweetie, did you get my snake?" Alaric asked eagerly. I rolled my eyes at his nickname, leaning back on the tub ledge.

"I got your snake and it's even in the tank. I need you to come get it and bring me my papers. There's an eight 'o' clock flight to London I want to take the day after tomorrow." I informed, making Alaric hum thoughtfully.

"I think I can accommodate you. I'll need you to get me pictures, though. Send them to my email, which is alaric.dvath@gmail.com. After that, I should be finished and I'll have them sent down to you. Just give me your address." Alaric informed. I gave him the address and listened to him gush for a little while longer about getting the snake and warning me to be careful with it before I finally got the chance to hang out. I left the bathroom to see Daimonas sitting on his bed, but instead of watching the television, he was staring at the snake tank covered with the purple tarp. Xed was sitting nearby on our bed, frowning at Daimonas.

"Why are you so interested in that snake?" I asked dryly as I came over to sit on the bed, relieved to feel the softness against my achy, sore body. It felt like my muscles were about to rip and my bones were brittle. It was the oddest sensation in the world. Could I be getting sick? Was that even possible? My species never contracted human illnesses. Then again, we weren't supposed to be born with defects, supposedly, and that was quite a surprise.

"I dunno," Daimonas answered me thoughtfully, hugging his dolphin to his chest, "Just something about it... It's kinda like it's trying to talk to me." I looked at him curiously.

"Talk to you?" I asked. Daimonas nodded, scrunching up his nose.

"But everything's all distorted and weird sounding. That's why I tried to lift up the tarp before. It might be that."

"I highly doubt it," I drawled, "Just don't mess with it, Daimonas. It's dangerous."

"I know."

"I hope so," I muttered, then looked at the time and sighed, "We'll go out to grab something to eat then since it's late and we skipped lunch."