Chapter 46

Thanksgiving.

I place enough plates for each of us on the dining table, while Taylor is decorating it. I give her a few glances, she responds with a small grin. The tension has already grown enough to make me faint. Today is the day, I will eventually come out to my parents. Taylor is here, it wasn't planned, but it surely was the perfect timing for her to come. It won't be easy regardless of what, but I won't be alone.

I look at my mother, her and I have been arguing a lot in recent time. I hope, this doesn't affect my coming out. I know that my dad will support me no matter what. He loves me, but I'm still scared, maybe this will change the way he views me. And Steve... I don't know what to think about him.

The doorbell rings, I put the last plate on the table, slide my hands along my beige cotton dress and rush to the door. I can already see the blurred silhouette behind the door. I open up and greet my dad. He hands me a big bouquet and hugs me.

"Thank you dad, it's so beautiful," I gaze at the many pink hibiscus flowers. It will look good on my desk. I give him a kiss on the cheek. He hesitatingly enters the house, probably reliving the old memories in his mind. It used to be his home, he used to come through this door everyday after work, and I jumped into his arms.

My mother greets him with a neutral face, then heads back to her work.

"I'm so glad you're here,"

"Thank you for convincing your mother baby girl," he pets my back and walks into the living room where Steve is. His eyes dart on my father, his facial expression changes rapidly. If looks could kill, my father would have been a dead man by now.

"Hey Steve,"

"Hello Walt," he greets him with his cheap champagne in his hand. Cheap as hell, Taylor could tell right away. Both sit down silently, I roll my eyes and leave the room. There is too much tension and I am full of it already.

Taylor heads in, greeting my dad with an embrace. Steve looks pretty puzzled, little did he know, that Taylor and my dad already met in hospital. They got along pretty well.

"Mom, can I talk to you for a second?" She turns to me with crossed arms.

"What?" She looks at the ground.

"I don't wanna fight, not today. Please," she sighs and rolls her eyes.

"Okay. But don't expect me to talk to him,"

"I don't,"

"Good," I lean against the door frame.

"Why are you so cold mom?"

"I'm not cold," she aggressively pours champagne into her glass. She side eyes me, "Oh not at all," she hisses.

"Mom, I can barely recognize you. What did I do to you?"

"Nothing," she drinks her champagne in one go. My eyes widen.

"Are you sure?" She holds her finger up, signaling me to shut up.

"Please be quiet for one minute, at least,"

"Why?"

"Cassandra, please!" I let out a shaky breath.

"I was really looking forward to seeing you again, but now..." I shake my head, tears welling in my eyes. I wasn't really expecting that.

"Do you actually know how I feel? You don't really like Steve and it makes me sad. I married him because I love him, and you won't even bother talking to him like he is your father,"

"Because he isn't!"

"But he loves you like his own daughter! He would do anything for you! He renovated your room, payed the ticket for me to visit you, when Michael was in hospital... but you won't even say thank you," she tosses her glass into the sink. I stay silent for about a minute. So many thoughts flying in my head. My mom lowers her head, sobbing. I am very surprised at how my mother reacts. I haven't seen her cry since I was a kid. She even held back her tears when I left for college, but she told me on the phone, that she cried all night long.