2. Confrontations

Start from the beginning

***

Clarence had been waiting for her. He asked his so-called “connections” to find out her class schedule for that day. He had purposely sat on the corner near her classroom, near enough to see her leaving but far enough so that she won’t notice him.

God, I feel like a stalker, he thought. Or maybe he was.

Seeing her climbing the stairs, he knew that she would go there, to that special place where he first met her. Still, there was something that stops him from following her. Is it shyness? Fear of rejection? That fear to know that maybe, he was wrong after all?

Shaking his head, Clarence knew that he won’t know the truth unless he sees it for himself. He got up, picked up his guitar and excused himself from his friends. While walking to the stairs, he had that distinct feeling that someone is watching him. He shook off that nagging feeling and climbed the stairs, not knowing that two pairs of amused eyes were following him.

 ***

James and Simon “high-fived” and grinned at each other. They knew their friend so well. They knew that Clarence won’t give up until he solved the mystery surrounding her, and that he would follow Juliet until he was sure of what he thought about her. It was just a shame that they won’t see the way things would end up later.

***

Clarence found himself walking on the hallway on the fourth floor. He was having mixed feelings. Anxiety, Excitement, Happiness.

But all that disappeared when he finally heard the voice that he was dreaming of. That voice that often distracted his thoughts, clouded his emotions. And the only thing he felt at that moment was wonder.

“I’ve always been that kind of girl

That hid my face

So afraid to tell the world

What I’ve got to say”

Clarence didn’t waste his time. He silently walked to the open window and watched her. Simply watched her as her fingers danced across the keyboard.

Now he knew, without a doubt, that his “Miss Angel”, the one he’s been thinking of these past few days, and Juliet Jennings, the best friend of his best friend’s girlfriend is the same. One and only angelic voice.

Breathtaking, he thought. How could someone so simple have such an ethereal voice?

“But I have this dream

Right inside me

I’m gonna let it show, it’s time

To let you know,

To let you know...”

His hand reached for the doorknob. He had planned to confront her. No way was he going to let her slide through his fingers again.

On the second thought...

Even if they talked for just a few minutes, Clarence somehow felt that he have known Juliet for a long time. He had this feeling that maybe he met her somewhere before.

Maybe in your past life, man? There was that teasing voice in his head.

Past life? Were they reincarnations or something?

Ahh! Get a grip, man. ‘Cause you’re getting crazy.

Clarence shook his head and reached for the door again. But halfway there, he froze in midair.

He just realized something.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

What the hell would happen if he confronted her? What will he say? That she has been occupying his mind for the last few days? That he can’t forget about her and her voice?

Ahh, whatever!

He took a deep breath and opened the door. And saw how Juliet stopped playing and looked at him, her cheeks blushing upon knowing who interrupted her.

He knew she was shy. Right from that very first meeting, he knew that. And that knowledge made him treat his words with care.

“Hey, Juliet,”  He said in a casual tone and smiled at her.

“Hi,” she said in a shy tone.

“What are you doing here?”

“Just practicing some songs,”

“Well, you sound nice from what I heard earlier,” No, you sounded angelic actually.

“Thanks,” She was absent-mindedly pressing the keyboard.

  He recognized the tune right away. It was that same song he heard her sang on their first meeting.

 “Nice tune,” he commented.

 “Thanks,” she said, smiling now. No, make that glowing.

 “Does that come up with lyrics?” He asked in a light tone.

 “Yes, but--”

 “Then can I hear it?”

 “No!”

 “Why not?”

 “Because it’s boring, amateurish, and –“

 “I don’t care. I just wanna hear you sing.”

She looked at him with confused eyes.

“Don’t you know that your voice is really good?”

“Well,--“

He lightly placed his hand over hers. He saw her eyes widen with shock and her cheeks blushed profusely. Still, she didn’t pull it out.

He inwardly rejoiced. At least she won’t back away from him now.

She sighed. “Okay, I’ll play it. But please don’t make fun of me, okay?” She asked.

“Of course, I won’t.”

“Okay. Then could you let go of my hand,  please?”

“Oh.” His grin as wide as a shark’s now, he let go of her hand and sat on one of the chairs near the piano.

This would be an awesome time, he thought.