Unfabulously Pretty: Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

          Okay, so Shane was really sick. He didn’t fake it so he could go on a date. Gosh, why was I so stubborn?

         “Hey, are you okay? You don’t look very good.” Asked Zoey. “You’re not sick too, are you?”

          “No, I’m fine.” I said tightly.

          “Wait, you didn’t yell at Shane and accuse him yesterday, did you?!” she shouted.

          “Yes, I did.” I confessed. “Did Shane tell you guys about it?”

          “No, he didn’t even mention anything about it. I didn’t know until you just told me like two minutes ago.”

          “Oh.” I was speechless now.

          I feel bad. I hate feeling bad, it makes me feel all icky inside, like I’ve done something illegal and the guilt is eating up inside me, making me hollow.

          Zoey and I had headed towards class and sure enough, I wasn’t listening (who listens in class, anyway?). My mind was too occupied about thinking what I am going to say when I see Shane. Even a person like Zoey can sort things out, so can I, right?

          How did things end up so complicated? It started off with that conversation with Drew…and he told me about the rumors he heard from the girls in his class, and I’ve falsely accused him. Okay, just because he was sick yesterday, that doesn’t mean that he’s not dating multiple girls, right? My theory might still be right. Still, I feel like a total moron for saying what I’ve said yesterday. I guess I was behaving a little too narrow-minded and a pain in the butt.

          If I apologize to Shane now, will he forgive me? I seriously doubt that because I’ve given him a worse headache by screaming at him when he’s already sick. Now I feel worse.

          What kind of friend am I?

          Oh, that’s a stupid question. I’m the worst kind, that’s what I am.

          I have to start focusing and creating a perfect sentence to put together when I’m going to apologize…

          “Ms. Ashville, don’t you look like you’re paying attention?” Mr. Tee interrupted me. Wait, isn’t Mr. Tee the same teacher from Shane’s class? “Answer me this, what flatlands in California lies between the Sierra Nevada and the Coast Range?”

          What the heck, is this the only question he ever has in mind? He asked one of the guys here the same question yesterday! Darn, what was the answer again?

          Okay, I’ll think of the perfect sentence, right after I’m done with this guy.

                                                *        *        *

Drew had walked me home after school, but before that Faith was acting all weird again, saying something about a date. Who knows what’s in her head lately.

          We walked in silence for a while. I just don’t feel like talking. I’m not even sure if Drew is the reason why. The argument with Shane sort of started from Drew. He was the one who had to tell me about the gossips he heard and that’s how things turned out like a load of crap. Then again, it wouldn’t be fair of me to blame him entirely; I was kind of acting irritating by simply pointing a finger at an innocent dude. Shane must be really pissed off with me now. Why am I not surprised?

          Drew must’ve realized my silent treatment and decided to question me.

          “Why so quiet all of the sudden?”

          “I was just doing some thinking.” I mumbled.

          “Oh, am I bothering you?”

          “No, a little noise is fine.” I smiled. “I can’t stay thinking forever. I need a distraction.” I snapped my fingers. “Go on, ask me a question.”

          “Oh, okay.” He boggled. “How’re you friends?” That’s the last question I wanna hear from you.

          “My friends are…good.” I stuttered.

          “Really?”

          “Uh, yeah. Zoey and Cain are good now meanwhile Faith is still acting weird, though.”

          “What about Shane?” he asked. Man, why does he care about Shane so much? Doesn’t he know that I’m trying to forget about him right now? Hah, of course he doesn’t.

          “I don’t know.” I slurred.

          “You don’t?” he looked skeptical. “Was the rumor true?”

          “How am I supposed to know? They’re no proofs, and plus he’s been out sick the whole day yesterday, and he’s still sick today and I’m a horrible friend for yelling the crap out of him for being innocent.” I said frustratingly.

          “Why? What happened?”

          “I assumed that he left school early so he could date.”

          “Oh.” He muttered. “That’s kind of wrong.”

          “Like I don’t know that already.” I sighed.

          “But that doesn’t mean that he isn’t playing the part of a playboy, right?”

          “Huh?”

          “I mean like, so what if he’s sick yesterday? That doesn’t prove him innocent. He could be dating too, you know, but just not yesterday.” He rephrased carefully.

          “Are you implying that he’s a playboy?” I snapped.

          “No, I’m just saying that the rumor might be true.” He shrugged casually. “Just saying.”

          “Yeah, right.” I frowned. “I mean, who started that stupid rumor anyway?”

          “Dunno. Some lifeless guy, I guess.”

          I sighed and averted my eyes. That lifeless guy is pretty damn lifeless, alright. He could’ve at least spread rumors about Melissa, right? Not some innocent guy.

          Drew and I had parted after that and I was dead tired. Why is everybody’s life going smoothly but mine? Zoey and Cain are having the time of their life, Tessa and Luke are always lovey-dovey and are constantly talking about babies, Faith may be acting weird but her life seems to be in order, nothing seems to be bothering Ash, and even Melissa, the girl who deserves to be punished more than I do is having a wonderful time with her new boyfriend Nathan who is about to be dump.

          What did I do to deserve all this?

          Oh darn, I totally forgot about Eugene.

          Wasn’t I supposed to call it off yesterday? Why didn’t I think about that today or yesterday? How can I not remember something this important but only remember that dinky rumor? What was that excuse that I came up with again…?

          Ah, never mind.

          I flopped lazily onto the couch, just dying to get this day over with. And just a month ago when I looked horrible and invisible to the world, I thought my life was a disaster. But now that I don’t look too bad anymore, life became worse.

          Well, I guess that just goes to show that looks aren’t everything. Too late to turn back now.